Any prep necessary for -18f degree night with wind chill -45?

I have bantams and I'm so worried. First year chicken keeper, too. I'll be checking this post often! Good luck to you!
Good luck to you and your flock, too! Misery loves company haha, I’m worried, also, but I keep reminding myself there are wild birds without much shelter that will make it through the next couple days

We had -21 this morning, not in the coop. I have all my hens in a coop, not the runs. I may open up the runs if it warms up more. The runs are all covered with snow on all sides. That may help with keeping them warm, like an igloo. I may hang feed bags too.
Keeping the feed bags in my arsenal, too. Are they doing well in the cold still?

I’m joining the club here. This polar air predicament makes me nervous for my girls. I’m very close to adding a low watt heat lamp as I have 7 chickens in an 8x8 draft free, ventilated shed. I’m not sure there’s enough of them to make the heat they will need in that size coop. Any other suggestions?
I just used old pillows to insulate the walls a bit more. I covered the windows with towels. Turned on their little radiant heater, although I’m sure it’s more for my comfort than theirs. There are vents for ventilation still, but I’m nervous not enough. We’re down to -16, “feels like -42” with the wind chill. Hanging a bit below 0 in the coop. Very cold. I have a feeling it’s going to get lower than expected. I may cave for my peace of mind and have the ladies stay the night in the garage…

Well friends, power is out. Chickens had a radiant heater near them and a heated roost. I think they’ll be fine, but going to check on them in a bit. Temp outside is -24. Will continue checking on them periodically until the power is on. Hope everyone is staying warm and their chickens are okay.

I just used old pillows to insulate the walls a bit more. I covered the windows with towels. Turned on their little radiant heater, although I’m sure it’s more for my comfort than theirs. There are vents for ventilation still, but I’m nervous not enough. We’re down to -16, “feels like -42” with the wind chill. Hanging a bit below 0 in the coop. Very cold. I have a feeling it’s going to get lower than expected. I may cave for my peace of mind and have the ladies stay the night in the garage…
Are your chickens staying in the coop, are you giving them the option of going outside?

Are your chickens staying in the coop, are you giving them the option of going outside?
Well they were going outside at first, but I kept seeing them sit on their feet and not move for a bit, so I figured it was a better idea to have them staying inside yesterday. The wind picked up and the low with the windchill was like -55, so I wasn’t going to take any chances.

Our power went out last night though and when I checked on them at 11pm, they had ice on their feathers, so I knew we had too much humidity in the coop for temps this low and brought them into our utility room in an XL dog kennel. So here they stay for a couple hours this morning until it’s just a bit warmer.

I had a hunch we didn’t have enough ventilation and I was unfortunately correct. So we’ll just make it through these next few below zero days and add more when the weather is in the 40s again next week.

Back
Top Bottom