Any prep necessary for -18f degree night with wind chill -45?

Thank you! I might crack the other window a few inches too. They are out right now because it is in the 50s, but will put them in later once the temps start to drop.
Today is the final day of sub zero temps here, thank goodness! What temperature is expected where you are?

So far I have put down a few inches of bedding in my ducks coops. One of my ducks has wet feather, and seems to be at the end of her molt. She has 12 other ducks in with her, so do you think that they will help keep her warm? I have one of their windows cracked and they are some vents to stop frostbite from forming.
I've been adding fresh bedding to mine too. To help keep moisture down mostly so the chickens won't get frostbite.
I think your ducks can do just fine as long as they have the ability to keep their feathers clean and dry, and that they can stay out of the wind and snow. I'm not too sure on how well the one with the wet feather would do as i've not much experience with it. I think even with wet feather if she stays dry she would probably do just fine so long as she's not in the wind and for hours.

My ducks have never gotten frost bite before and I haven't heard any stories of ducks getting it.
My coop sucks with ventilation and size my ducks and chickens hang out in there when it's too windy for them but they usually stay outside if it's not too windy and if it's not like -20. I have two special needs ducks as well and everyone does fine as long as they can go in and out of their coop whenever they feel like it.

Hopefully this makes sense or whatever. Maybe @Miss Lydia or someone else will say something I didn't or say somethings that I did say and say it way better then I probably did.

Good luck, I hope everyone's flocks stay warm and healthy.

We're at -0 with wind chills of -25-30 I let mine choose where they wanted to hang out today and most went into the woodshed finally at around 3:30 I went out and herded everyone inside it was horrible, it was so cold and windy. I did put a heated water bucket in the coop inside half of a large plastic dog crate to try and keep the mess down, No telling what I'll find in the morning but they have food and water inside for now. I can't tell anyone else what to do with their birds other than keep an eye on them and hopefully you'll be able to tell if they are suffering and need to be inside. I'll leave the pop door open again tomorrow and see what happens.

I put my senior hen in the garage tonight. She only had one friend on the perch and she wasn’t next to her. She’s over 8 years old. My small flock is still outside in their coop. I have two coops. I’ll merge them all next year.

I do suggest straw for warmth. But the coop should have ventilation as well as not to have air directly on them. When it’s cold, the coop can contain a lot of humidity and make a lot of moisture and ammonia.

Woke up this morning to 2 degrees F. Opened the door and most of the girls came right out. Once I turned over the run bedding (covered with a sprinkle of snow…they hate the snow), the rest came out too. I saw everyone eat & drink. I assumed they would all go right back in after eating, but most of them stayed out in the run. They did not appear uncomfortable which I was surprised about. I do have tarps over the lower half about 3 feet high (hence how a little snow got in, through the top), so any wind shouldn’t bother them. My coop is solid wood, but not insulated. I have about 4-6 inches of pine shavings on the floor. The heated waterer is working great thankfully. Now to make myself available (and re-bundle up) every few hours to check for eggs before they freeze! If I hear the egg song, I’ll run out quick to check. High of 12 today. Tomorrow high of 20, and back to some above freezing temps by Wednesday. Hang in there, ladies!

Woke up this morning to 2 degrees F. Opened the door and most of the girls came right out. Once I turned over the run bedding (covered with a sprinkle of snow…they hate the snow), the rest came out too. I saw everyone eat & drink. I assumed they would all go right back in after eating, but most of them stayed out in the run. They did not appear uncomfortable which I was surprised about. I do have tarps over the lower half about 3 feet high (hence how a little snow got in, through the top), so any wind shouldn’t bother them. My coop is solid wood, but not insulated. I have about 4-6 inches of pine shavings on the floor. The heated waterer is working great thankfully. Now to make myself available (and re-bundle up) every few hours to check for eggs before they freeze! If I hear the egg song, I’ll run out quick to check. High of 12 today. Tomorrow high of 20, and back to some above freezing temps by Wednesday. Hang in there, ladies!
Yes! They always surprise me. Sounds like you have a wonderful set up. That’s funny they ate it, mine never touch snow! Ours finally get to use their run today, it’s actually above zero and I don’t have to worry about frostbite. Hope it passes quickly for you and yours!

Here right now it is about 30F with very little wind and it's sunny.
A bunch of snow got in the coop last night cause it was super windy and the nesting box door is warped and stuff so the ends of it are a bit raised and let snow in.
My ducks and two guinea fowl were in the coop while all the chickens were in the breezeway. All's been well here, I am going to make scrambled eggs for all of them today.

Hope you all have a great day

Back
Top Bottom