Any Red Wine drinkers out there?

coloradochick

Songster
12 Years
Dec 19, 2007
Brighton, CO
I don't know a whole lot about wine or other "beverages" except for the occasional beer here and there, but I want to find a red wine (heart healthy reasons) that I can have a glass of every now and then. Something not dry at all, not to pricey. Any ideas?
big_smile.png

C

Shiraz is a good red wine for people that don't really like red wine. Yellow Tail isn't too bad, and it's cheap. If it's still too dry- mix in some Sunny Delight- it's really good! Like instant Sangria
tongue.png

As a newby to red wine, you might want to start with something a little less full flavored. This means avoiding Cabernets and Zinfandels. A pinot noir is going to be lighter, and less dry. A Beaujolais Nouveau might be your best bet. They aren't oak aged, so don't have many tannins, and are fairly fruity. They are made from the gamay grape. There are also Kosher wines, which have a reputation of being sweet wines. I think any decent wine shop should be able to help you.

Quote:
what a great idea. i hate the taste of red wine, but i hear it is very good for the heart to have a glass each night with dinner. i love sangria, OMG, St. Augustine, Florida, the Cuban restaurant has Sangria that they make at your table with all the fresh fruits... mouth watering now...
droolin.gif
brings back lots of summer time memories...

Hey, my hubby and my father-in-law make their own wine from muscadines (my father-in-law also makes cherry wine from Wisonsin cherries--he has a cottage up there). Their wine is delicious. Good luck on finding a wine that is not too dry. Almost all the wine I have tasted has been too dry. There is a winery in Seviereville, TN, that is called The Apple Barn. Here is the number: 800-421-4606. That may be the number for the general store, but they can give you the number for the winery store. Other than my husband's and my father-in-law's, they have the best wine I've ever tasted. You can probably get them to ship it to you for a fair but unreasonable price (LOL)--they probably have a website. My husband and I each got to taste test 2 or 3 wines each, and we shared our tasting with each other. They were all good. We were there in October 2009. We're hoping to go back this October. Good luck! By the way, I'm not much of a beer or other alcoholic beverage drinker, either, but the best tasting beer to me is Leinenkuegl's Red--I'm sure I butchered that spelling.

Shiraz is a good choice for a less dry red wine. I like the Barefoot label, and it's pretty inexpensive. If you really want no dryness try the inexpensive box wine. Almost like pop. You can also try adding a little 7-up or something like that. I expect as you develop a taste for wine you'll come to appreciate all different kinds.

Imp

Yep I can count on 1 hand the mixed drinks I've had in my life.

madornato- is that beer thick or heavy? We'll be in Nashville in June with my daughters softball team, is that anywhere close to Seviereville?

Are Sangrias typically sweet wines?

Back
Top Bottom