Any thoughts on this coop for Chicago?

Tons of coops designs around, that one isn't the best I've ever seen. I'd look up 'salt box' which is basically a box with an angled roof. Very basic structure and allows you the room to add in all the extras. Keep in mind when looking, imagine yourself some Wednesday late afternoon in the rain and wind cleaning out chicken poop and picking up eggs after you worked 13 hours...chickens regardless of how many you have will require a chunk of time to maintain. And with the current chicken hobby fad sweeping the nation, we are seeing tons of silly and ridiculous chicken coops being posted on the net. A lot of them have converted rabbit hutches that get passed off as coops. Don't let anyone tell you one style is better than the other if that was the case everyone and their second cousin would be using it. Find a style that fits your needs, something you can look at every day and not want to vomit in your mouth in regret. Anything can be a good coop if done right and thought out. Just requires some research and planning. Chickens are fun and easy if you take the steps and do the work. Heck, do some googling and question asking and maybe come up with your own design.

So when looking at designs, keep in mind the following things, a very basic bare bones salt of the earth list:

-Does it have enough ventilation, approximately 1 sqf per 10 sqf of the coop. More is always better. If not can it be added without compromising the integrity of the structure?

-Is it predator proof? Are the windows locked in place, vent areas covered with hardware cloth, off the ground or ground level, for your location, I would recommend it being off the ground (However, walk-in coops are priceless), etc?

-Natural/Artificial lighting

-Nest box and/or Nest Area. You will not need a box per chicken, that's old school craziness thinking that lingers in 2018. Chances are they'll all pile their fuzzy fluffy cute chicken butts all into one anyway.

-Roost, there is no rule as to how high though there are some 'rules' as to how much head clearance and spacial positioning from the walls and the length you will need based on the room need per bird. I recommend using a 2 x 4 flat side up to start.

-Ease of accessibility..every time you have to bend over to clean it or knock your head on the cleanout door..you'll curse the high heavens.

-Will your girls free range all day or be contained in a run attached to the coop? Runs you'll want to aim for at a minimum of approx. 10 square feet of run space per bird. Keep in mind they'll destroy anything and everything within that given space. Bless their wee little rototiller hearts. Given your breed of choice, they are larger hence requiring more towards the bare minimum. Can always go for more and that is encouraged. Free-ranging they're out on their own all day doing their chicken thing so the space issue will not be as much a concern during the bad sledding months. Snowy and cold/rainy times of year you will thank yourself for having a run that is easily winterized and covered. Chickens generally don't really like snow other than stuffing their faces with it or damp, rainy conditions. 4 x 8 Clear PVC roofing panels, for example, are about $15.00 a piece and fairly durable. I use them often.

Long winded! I know, I Know! Good luck with your choices and planning, hope some of this helped and not just a Captain Obvious post reply. =)

Any you would recommend?
I would suggest you build a standard shed, at least 8x8, adding large roof overhangs for open eave ventilation(all year round) and several top hinged windows(summer ventilation and light year round)...and of course roosts and nests.

Maybe I'm spoiled, but I can't imagine taking care of chickens in our climate if I couldn't do most the chores under cover a good roof, tho we get more snow on this side of the lake....and in winter they are not going to want to be outside as much, so you need more than the oft cited 4sqft of coop space, especially if you don't have a good large weather(snow/wind) protected run.

Here is the Modern Fresh Air Poultry House book.

Opened this book but didnt download save it, oops senility strikes again. Trying again.

Back to original question. That design has all the flaws already pointed out. The most grevious is chickens are not display items. They are real creatures who deserve a quality of life. Most small designs appear to be similar to zoo cages. Good to keep animals pacing and frustrated.

Cheapish is an understandable and realistic goal if a person has patience. Numerous people have built inexpensive, creative, yet functional and attractive chicken coops and runs. Looking through the small coop section on this site is entertaining and informative.

The worst thing you can do is rush the project. Take time to collect free lumber or other offerings and stockpile till ready. Old fencing and pallets, contruction scraps are good sources. Basic tools and willingness to try can turn a non handy person into a successful beginning carpenter. With the experience of some of the previous posters anyone can build an adequate coop and run that the chickens would love. If it doesnt work exactly the way a person wants then a remodel is in storel
After all a persons hard work, smacked thumbs, and splinters the chickens will graciously reward you with eggs and hours of entertainment. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom