Added a pen to the coop for our new additions!

Carlyb22

Songster
Jan 29, 2022
South Carolina USA
Saturday morning we added a larger run on our coop since we expanded our flock!! Our current 4 free range and only use the coop to sleep, but we plan to keep our new 4 contained to the coop/run during the day until they are used to our current flock and everyone gets along! We did this in only 4 hours and on a budget!!
It’s NOT predator proof, but the actual coop (it’s an open air style) is. We haven’t had any issues with predators but I wanted somewhere to separate the young flock from the older flock at first, plus I wanted more daytime space if there’s days we can’t free range everyone for whatever reason!
83A63AF7-769C-4595-B0FF-5EBB6831899D.jpeg

We’re going to see how the tarp holds up. We wanted half the run to be shaded/rain proof while the other side gets sun/rain and figured this was the easiest way. If the tarp doesn’t hold up we will try something else! It does slope and should drain water behind the shed!

A8E7B289-7511-494A-89C8-6B1D5BBDFBF1.jpeg

We made this chicken door into the run this morning as well, I just need to run to the hardware store and grab a latch since the one we got is too small.

The coop is 5x8ft and has 15ft of roosts and the pen is 7x12ft!! Our current flock is 4 Polish hens and we have 4 two week old chicks(hopefully pullets) but any roosters won’t be staying.

I want to add some low roosts and things to climb on in the pen since the new chicks will be contained for a while. Don’t want them to get bored!

Back
Top Bottom