Anybody crossed an Ameraucana or EE with a Rhode Island Red??

Henpecky

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 24, 2010
Spring Green, WI
Hello All,

I am new to the forum so I apologize if I am posting something that is already here.

I was wondering if anyone has crossed an Ameraucana or EE with a Rhode Island Red and/or Black Star sex link? I am interested to know what the physical characteristics of the offspring were and if the egg color produced by the hens of such a cross was brown or green or mixed. (I have an Ameraucana/EE (?) rooster and RIR & black sex link hens.)

Thanks!

**Edited post to correct spelling/breeds--thx Illia!**

Last edited:
Well I'm assuming you have an Easter Egger, not an Ameraucana (you spelled it wrong, and Ameraucanas are quite rare, sorry) so really, you'll get another Easter Egger. With that, the feather color will depend on the EE, and the egg color will too. Since the EE is a roo, it really depends. I'm guessing he has blue/green genes though, so your offspring should lay olive green and brown eggs.
smile.png

Cool...thanks for the info!
smile.png
I understand that the offspring will be varied to an extent, but wondered if the colors would be limited due to the sameness of the RIR's...the rooster is very red, the 'classic' barnyard rooster colors...

Thanks again!

The past few days I have been getting two blue green eggs and I only have one EE hen. It dawned on me that one of my babies (only one hen) from last summer that looks mostly RIR is probbaly from one of my EE roos. I don't know for sure I had 3 roos at the time. The "new" egg is a bit more olive but still blue/green. I think she came from one of RIR hens and I'm thinking she is fathered by one of the EE roos. She just started laying recently...so it has taken forever but it has taken forever for my EE to lay.

So I'd say you would get a blue green hue.

Thanks for updating! Even though i know your update is even old. Lol. I just got a easter egger rooster (beautifully colored) and i have my RIR hen (Scarlette JoHENson). I was wondering what their offspring would possibly look like. Do you maybe have some pictures of ur EE/RIR cross? I would love to see!

We were told this was a cross between a RR and an Ameraucana. Not sure if that right, but he's a young one. He is going to be beautiful He has that RR Red color, with touches of gray in his tail.

Here are two of my cross of a Blue-Tailed Red EE x of Producton Red hens:

These are the only two bearded ones, I had a total of 36 that hatched out, only have four left now. 1 bearded one and 3 non-bearded. the beardred one has a peacomb and I think one of the non-bearded has a peacomb. They are only around 15 weeks. So i'm waiting on them to get old enough to lay going to cross back to a Red EE rooster that I have. I'm going to use all four that I have since the others carry the blue egg gene.

We were told this was a cross between a RR and an Ameraucana. Not sure if that right, but he's a young one. He is going to be beautiful He has that RR Red color, with touches of gray in his tail.
Well, ooops, he may be a RR and an Ameraucana mix, but he is actually a she, found her in the nesting box today laying an egg
idunno.gif
LOL! She's a beautiful bird and super glad we have her.

I know this is a late reply(14 months late), but i have a beautiful RIR Americauana cross hen. She is dark red with gold neck feathers. Her head looks like a RIR. She lays a beautiful geen egg almost every day. She has a pea comb also.

Back
Top Bottom