Anybody Else 'Enjoy' Scraping Poop Boards?

JanieMarie

Songster
14 Years
Aug 26, 2008
Georgetown, Minnesota
I just scraped down my poop boards (4 coops) and I'M starting to think I'm losing my mind! I rather enjoyed it! (sic I know!) I get to visit with my birds, check everyone over and their poo is a great way to moniter their health and any signs of possible problems. It looks so nice when I'm done. All clean and the litter clean and dry and the birds happy. Such dramatic results for such little effort! And no strenuous back work like cleaning the horse barn! Just wondering if I was alone in enjoying this chore?!
frow.gif

Hi
While its nice to see everything clean and fresh again my secret joy is the container of poop for the compost pile! Composting is my way of getting excercise.
smile.png

I have to admit, I do enjoy fluffing the the coop up on a daily basis for the girls. It's the least I can do for all the eggs and joy they give me! And yeah....a heck of a lot easier to fluff a coop than to shovel manure. I've got 4 horses and my 23 chickens are alot less work!!! lol

I do enjoy ANYTHING that I see progress in, my girls coop included. I was the one that would wash the floors after the kids went to bed... so I could say "My floors stayed clean for 12 hours". I do the coop in the morning so I can say "The coop is clean for ... " then one follows me in to check out what I'm doing ... AND POOPS
somad.gif
. Oh well

Yeah...lol...sounds strange, but at least others admit it too. I especially like it right after I've dusted it back down with clean bedding material after scraping it off!
tongue.png
And you know how some people spot coins or four leaf clovers and scoop them up without a thought? That's what I do anytime I'm out in the coop and spy poop in the floor bedding...lol. I don't even think about it, just reaction.

I knew I had joined the right group of addicts!!! Yes, I enjoy the cleaning process! Each morning, I venture out to the coop, take down my very wide putty knife and scrap the roost and the 'jump boards' in front of each nest box, then I get the kitty litter scoops and talk to the girls as I clean the poop board--usually get a two gal. bucket full of shavings and poo! Then I add a few hand fulls of new shaving, fluff it all up, add the new shaving if the nest boxes are looking sparse.. Then I take my large garden rake and rake and fluff all the floor shavings, I check the water and feeders..Usually by this time the BO girls are in the nest boxes.. So, I tell the girls thank you, for all the eggs they give me.. and close the gates!!

Last edited:
I knew you guys were out there! Nowhere else would I find this but BYC! Yeah the poop does wonders for the compost pile. The perfect nitrogen source for the high carbon matter. Roses especially thrive on composted chicken manure!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom