Anybody have an educated guess?

Justanotheruser

Hatching
12 Years
Aug 30, 2007
Long story short. I let the kids, just for the heck of it, hatch
chickens this past August. Two hatched, one died, and we were left with just one chicken. I could not very well put this poor baby out in the cold alone, so she (Sparkles) became our "kitchen chicken".
The thoughts were many, some of them pretty strange, but the one that made the most sense was to find her a couple of friends so that we could put them outside in the spring and next winter they could be yard chickens and not kitchen chickens. So, how to find friends for a hand raised (spoiled rotten) chicken? I was warned not to put her with
yard chickens, because she would find herself on the low end of the pecking order pretty fast and she could be hurt or killed.
So, I see on Chicken Chat that there is a chicken, pretty close in age and also hand raised, in need of a home. I jump at the opportunity. Now Daisy is our second "kitchen chicken".
Daisy and Sparkles get along well, although Daisy is a little more dominent. Daisy spends time in Sparkles coop and it's all good, but let Sparkles get in Daisy's cage and she pitches a fit.
Anyway, now that you have our background, here is my question.
I was told that Daisy is a leghorn. Are there some characteristics that are a 'must have' for a leghorn? I thought that a leghorn hen would have the droopy comb. Daisy's stands erect. Also, her beak is pale pink and her comb is pale as well. Her legs are white. Is there a
way to know for sure if she is a leghorn? Or maybe some other breed that is similar? Also, I have been searching pictures and she doesn't seem to look like a leghorn hen (or leghorn cock, either).
I am just really confused. There are so very many varieties that look so similar, i don't know how anybody could keep it straight.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Kris
[email protected]

Oh man!
She's a boy!
She started crowing this morning.
The kids are gonna be so disappointed.
What'cha gonna do?
Anybody need a 3 month old, possibly leghorn, sweet little boy?

I doubt it's a leghorn, as I believe they have yellow skin. It could be a white orp, they have white skin but without a pic don't know. Sorry to hear "he" is crowing, but at least you know now.

Jody

Back
Top Bottom