Anybody have any ideas for chicken entertainment?

Introducing new things is good for them. Changing everything at once will probably overwhelm them but if you have five "toys" or entertainment centers in their run and switch one out weekly it should be good. It makes sense- as prey any change could mean a predator. It's hardwired in them.

African Greys are notorious for freaking out when you change anything in their cage. Anything! Add in that they are notoriously clumsy when young, a new toy could be dangerous to their health. A program of getting them used to change increases their safety. While chickens aren't as bad- getting them used to some change and allowing them to decide when to approach (bribes can be used too) could help them in the future.

Wow! The ChickenKing, how big is that? My plans were not that extensive ;) I'll bet your Ladies LOVE that!

Thanks they were all over it, :) it takes up a good part of the back corner of the yard and I plan on making it even better!;)

Thanks they were all over it, :) it takes up a good part of the back corner of the yard and I plan on making it even better!;)

I'll bet they love it. Great for them too as they negotiate all the different heights and distances. Much better in the long run than having everything on one flat level.

Chickens love to search out goodies. They like to search around shrubs and trees, under things, on top of things. I let my chickens out every morning to free range. I also have a variety of interesting items in the 16 x 20 ft run. Old fence posts on the ground, branches they can fly up to at about 5 ft high, old bench and table. The table also protects the feed from rain. Several different water sources, and I have vines climbing up the chicken wire so they can search for bugs even while in the chicken run. Then I have a stool in there that I can sit on and watch them sometimes! There are food/treat items you can put in "cages" that makes them have to work for food too. Just like children or cats/dogs, they need an interesting environment.

Back
Top Bottom