Anybody have any ideas for chicken entertainment?

I grow mammoth sunflower and corn.....they get the corn stalks to eat...while they are still green, and the sunflower stalks. The past weekend has been storms, and it is causing the sunflower heads to break their stalks. So I put the heads up to cure..pulled off the leaves, and took the stalks and leaves to the pen. They love to peck at them all and find goodies. And it gives them greens to enjoy.

I save up the mammoth sunflower heads for their winter protein. Pull a cured head down, and toss it whole in the run. They need things to do..and pecking at sunflower heads is good fun for them.

Just an added note - sunflowers or heavy oil foods should be limited to winter/spring to protect chicken's livers from getting too fatty during warmer temps. They need the seeds and oils more in winter diets to build up their fat reserves
smile.png

I use a simple wire suet block holder and fill it with lettuce or cabbage or Kale. I hang it, first against a wall so they can get the idea of pecking and not have it swinging all over the place to start them off. In a few days, I moved it to hang in the center of their pen and it is like a swing going in every direction as a crowd gathers around it to eat. They seem to be having lots of fun!

Hang an apple in the center of your run. Or more depending on how many birds you have. I have also used large zuchinni, too big to eat but soft enough skin for the chickens to pierce. An ear of corn is fun too.

I don't know if you use straw for bedding, but letting them dismantle a flake of anything provides lots of fun.

The best entertainment my girls get is free range when I am home. The ability to dig for bugs, dust bathe, and exercise is the best entertainment around. If you can provide that, even for a little while every day, your chickens will be happier and healthier.

Last edited:
I pay $14 for 12 ounces. Everything costs more in SoCal!!!
No kidding. I pay $30.00 for a 30 ounce bag. I mix them with sunflower seeds and oats to make them of further. I've been tossing a couple handfuls for an occasional bedtime snack. Meanie, our Easter Egger (she lays beautiful pale blue eggs eggs but she's the flock enforcer) goes absolutely bonkers, so it's maybe not the best time to give them. I told my daughter as soon as our coop is built (roof is going on today), she's going to learn the fine art of worm farming.

When we started with guineas, we found they love to look at themselves in a mirror. I would use command type 3m adhesive to attach to their cage wall. You have to be very careful that this is not in direct sunlight as it can catch light and cause several issues including a fire hypothetically if in direct sun.

If you place one inside where it is shielded from light, you will also be less bored as you become entertained with their ridiculous little dances and pecking rituals.

When we built a big coop, I made a mirrored area in a very sheltered back area under their nesting boxes. They seem amused...as am I. The chickens seem to like this and also love spinach, mealworms, and having lots of room to roam at free will. Our birds have access to the outside any time they wish during daylight hours and enjoy looking out a six by six foot window. We designed the coop around the idea that the window would be a great source of entertainment and looks out on a goat yard, pasture, trees and a free range yard they access from a ramp inside. Hope this helps. :)

Well, I guess there is hope for the future then. I was resigned to getting some ducks next year, but I guess I better watch my chickens a little better. I haven't seen as many slugs around lately. I thought it was because I go slug hunting every night and squish them with by slug squisher. Maybe the chickens are eating them now.

Anything new you can introduce to their environment will spark their curiosity and give them something to do.  Are they outside? Are they confined in a coop/building or able to go out into a contained run or free range?  
You can do anything from hanging a head of cabbage for them to peck at, putting in new items for them to climb around on/under, creating "food puzzles" out of things they have to move or manipulate to get into a treat, etc.

My three year old enjoys watching the chickens. Here is a chicken puzzle idea she loves bringing to the girls. Below is the 1st time we introduced it. Now they know what it is and they come a running and bat it around and play more, enjoying the treats that fall out!

Last edited:
No kidding. I pay $30.00 for a 30 ounce bag. I mix them with sunflower seeds and oats to make them of further. I've been tossing a couple handfuls for an occasional bedtime snack. Meanie, our Easter Egger (she lays beautiful pale blue eggs eggs but she's the flock enforcer) goes absolutely bonkers, so it's maybe not the best time to give them. I told my daughter as soon as our coop is built (roof is going on today), she's going to learn the fine art of worm farming.

That is a wonderful project for children. Be prepared to ask her daily if she's tended the worm farm because missing a day can be crucial if not tended to - but a very worthwhile project and cleaner worms than the ones in the backyard. Earthworms from a backyard can harbor intestinal parasites just like wildbird feces or snails, etc. You'll get a much safer food source from a worm farm. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom