Anyone breed a Silver Duckwing OEGB & a Splash Polish?

Hi. :frow

Check out this color calculator. It doesn't account for any leakage of color (or breed specific things). 2nd drop down tab is in English..
http://kippenjungle.nl/Overzicht.htm#kipcalculator

It appears to indicate that Silver Duckwing crossed to splash will give 100% blue offspring. If that is the case, then I would figure SDW to be black based.

Happy hatching! :jumpy:jumpy

I'd expect blue with some silver leakage around the neck, yes. Depending on whether the hen is from solid colour breeding or white-crested you may see more or less leakage.

Silver Duckwing is basically Wildtype e+ based, with Silver, @EggSighted4Life . Whilst there is some black in the plumage, I would only really refer to Extended Black birds as 'black based', to avoid confusion. Blue in this case results from a bird homozygous for 'the blue gene' (aka Splash) being bred to a bird with no blue gene (so the Duckwing cockerel).

So each chicken has a ground colour and an e-series. The ground colour is either Silver or Gold (both is possible in males only), so the Silver duckwing cockerel is Silver based. His e-series is e+, the wild-type, original, whilst the hen's is likely E (extended black), or ER Birchen, both of which result in a largely black bird (though her plumage is diluted to Splash).

Birds may also possess pattern genes, which dictate where pigment is placed on the bird. These include Colombian, Pattern Gene, Melanotic, Mottling, etc etc. They can also possess pigment enhancers or diluters, such as Mahogany, which effects pheomelanin (red pigment), or Blue, which mostly effects eumelanin (black pigment).

Blue is Incompletely Dominant as a single copy of the gene has an effect, but not as much of an effect as two copies of the gene, aka Splash. It is for this reason that all of this hen's chicks with a non-blue cockerel will be Blue.

So each chicken has a ground colour and an e-series. The ground colour is either Silver or Gold (both is possible in males only), so the Silver duckwing cockerel is Silver based. His e-series is e+, the wild-type, original, whilst the hen's is likely E (extended black), or ER Birchen, both of which result in a largely black bird (though her plumage is diluted to Splash).

Birds may also possess pattern genes, which dictate where pigment is placed on the bird. These include Colombian, Pattern Gene, Melanotic, Mottling, etc etc. They can also possess pigment enhancers or diluters, such as Mahogany, which effects pheomelanin (red pigment), or Blue, which mostly effects eumelanin (black pigment).

Blue is Incompletely Dominant as a single copy of the gene has an effect, but not as much of an effect as two copies of the gene, aka Splash. It is for this reason that all of this hen's chicks with a non-blue cockerel will be Blue.
Now you've gone and done it! :highfive:

Adding more information... is awesome. I book marked it... so I can review when my mind is in the correct state and actually commit it to memory. :thumbsup
Splash. It is for this reason that all of this hen's chicks with a non-blue cockerel will be Blue.
Hmmm.... So splash hen bred to a red cock will produce all blue offspring... now if I can just figure out where the sex linking comes in to make Blue Bells! I understand the breeds crossed to be a Red and Marans.:pop

NEVER stop learning! :wee

So splash hen bred to a red cock will produce all blue offspring... now if I can just figure out where the sex linking comes in to make Blue Bells! I understand the breeds crossed to be a Red and Marans.

The red will leak through, particularly in the neck and breast, but yes, that's correct. Regarding the sex-linkage, I would assume that they are black sex-links, just with the addition of the blue gene. So a splash cockerel covering barred hens to produce blue pullets and blue single-barred Cockerels.

Regarding the sex-linkage, I would assume that they are black sex-links,
The Blue Bells... are supposed to be Rhode Island Red crossed to A Marans... producing 100% solid blue female offspring... Are you suggesting it's a blue cuckoo female? Will not 50% still be black... sorry, this is off topic from the original post. :oops::smack

ETA: That calculator won't let me do blue cuckoo... But you might be onto something!

Also, Bluebells might be auto sexing and not sex linked... Wondering if writers knew the difference...

Back
Top Bottom