Anyone else have midget whites?

are midget whites the only duel purpose heritage turkey? How many eggs a year do they lay? what breed of turkey is normally considered the most prolific egg layer?

This is my white midget turkey Dazzle. She follows me everywhere and I just love her. She loves for me to hold her in my arms and let her sleep. She makes sure that all the girls are safe and now that she is getting taller than some of the other girls, she is taking over the coop. They are beautiful birds.

I'm looking forward to getting some hatching eggs or poults. This little breed is just what the Dr ordered for us & our small family. Barely bigger than chicken? Who knew such a turkey existed ... obviously not me. Unfortunately for me, I discovered midget whites & it isn't the right season for midget whites to be laying. Anyone know of a 2015 waiting list for hatching eggs or poults? I'd love to get my foot in the door before they are all spoken for.

For those who have midget whites,how tall are they? Because I finally built a chicken tractor I've wanted one forever and it's 2 feet high I would love to raise a couple for Thanksgiving and put them in here if I could....just wondering the height range of them...thanks
Nice! Turkeys will be much happier with a large pasture to roam around in. I do put my MW turkey mama and seven babies in a tractor similar to this overnight for protection. Our tractors have 1/4" hardware cloth instead of chicken wire though. We have not had any problems with any digging predators, either. Might that be a issue where you are?

I'm looking forward to getting some hatching eggs or poults. This little breed is just what the Dr ordered for us & our small family. Barely bigger than chicken? Who knew such a turkey existed ... obviously not me. Unfortunately for me, I discovered midget whites & it isn't the right season for midget whites to be laying. Anyone know of a 2015 waiting list for hatching eggs or poults? I'd love to get my foot in the door before they are all spoken for.
Welcome to BYC!

There are several ways to get started with turkey poults. You can get an order in to a hatchery (do it early!) like Sand Hill Preservation (http://www.sandhillpreservation.com/) or you can watch on the BYC site for "auctions" where people will sell hatching eggs. You can also ask at your local feed store if they know of anyone with midget white turkeys.

Dazzle is a white midget turkey and I would say she is just under 2ft tall. I will measure her tomorrow and see exactly how tall she is. Here is a pic of her so you can kind of judge. Dazzle is about 5 months old. She has not laid any eggs yet.

Do your homework to find a good source. By APA standards the beltsvilles and MW are mixed for showing purposes. SO the chances are that they will be bred together.

If I were looking I would write down every name of people who have them and make inquiries. THis is the time to do that, so you can get an order in NOW for the spring. I would suggest getting poults over eggs if the person will ship or you can pick up. Or better get a trio NOW if you can find a reliable source.

Thanks Arielle,
Where would I begin to do homework in locating a good source MWs? I looked for a Midget White Turkey "club of America", but couldn't find anything in my search. I am looking for eggs or poults from a flock of small adults ... roughly 10-15lb adults ... give or take.

Calling one, calling all, anyone & everyone who is willing to help me locate a good breeder ... if you have Midget Whites, would you mind sharing with me where your turkeys came from? What was your experience? Were your birds shipped to you? Do you yourself have MW? I am in central Virginia. I will drive to PA, MD, NJ, DE, NC ... possibly to OH, TN & WV to pick up eggs/poults if the breeder doesn't ship & has the reputation worth the drive. Private Message is fine!!! I would like to get on a 2015 waiting list to get my foot in the door.

:::10/08/2014 UPDATE, I will update this post when I have all of the turkeys/poults/hatching eggs that I am looking for. If you are reading this post, I am still looking. Please private message me or respond to the thread. My humble thanks for any and all leads! :::

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom