Anyone ever purchase finch eggs to keep healthy (non inbred) lines?

tiffanyh

Songster
12 Years
Apr 8, 2007
Connecticut
I have a family of society finch that are almost a year old with their parents. I want to let them hatch more eggs, but I do not want to cause to many inbred lines. I was thinking of trying to purchase eggs to allow my societies to care for. Has anyone ever done this? And if so, where have you purchased the eggs?

Thanks!

Around here they are really cheap, around six to ten dollars each. Seems like it would be much simpler to buy more birds from different breeders and just add them to your flock, or pair them up in separate cages, then put the resulting babies back in a larger flight to flock breed.

Thanks for your response. They are a bit more expensive around here, up to $20 per finch. I like to get them from local breeders instead of pet store, but that seems to be hard to find too!!

I could separate out adults though.....

Oh wow. If I tried really hard I could get them probably for $4 each here in California. Hmmmm... $20 each, that changes things. Maybe you can work out a straight trade of juveniles with another breeder in your area.

Back
Top Bottom