Anyone ever use stall mats to pad concrete?

HollowOfWisps

Previously AstroDuck
Aug 28, 2020
Iowa
Since the ground here is a very soft and easy to dig out along with the amount of predators we have here I think I'm going to need a concrete pad under my duck barn that we are building. I know concrete is hard to stand on so I was wondering if anyone has used stall mats to pad then of course topped with bedding? I'm also looking to get away from pine shavings and switching to hemp bedding or chopped straw something that's better for their feet and better for their respiratory systems not being as dusty. So there will be a good few inches of bedding over top. Overall I'm looking to create a duck barn that's predator proof and an environment that's optimal for my ducks overall health. Specifically looking at having Ramm's thurobed mattress installed in each duck pen. I don't know, does it sound like a bad idea? Since I'm already going to have the thurobed's installed in our horse barn I'm willing to spend the extra money for my ducks to keep the stress and pressure off of their little legs/feet giving them a nice padded area as well. I also like the idea that I can sanitize everything if need be.

Link-
https://www.rammfence.com/barn/horse-barn-flooring/thurobed-mattress-system

***All photos from Ramm's website***
SC_006 (1).jpg

SC_007.jpg

SC_000.jpg

SC_003.jpg

Since the ground here is a very soft and easy to dig out along with the amount of predators we have here I think I'm going to need a concrete pad under my duck barn that we are building. I know concrete is hard to stand on so I was wondering if anyone has used stall mats to pad then of course topped with bedding? I'm also looking to get away from pine shavings and switching to hemp bedding or chopped straw something that's better for their feet and better for their respiratory systems not being as dusty. So there will be a good few inches of bedding over top. Overall I'm looking to create a duck barn that's predator proof and an environment that's optimal for my ducks overall health. Specifically looking at having Ramm's thurobed mattress installed in each duck pen. I don't know, does it sound like a bad idea? Since I'm already going to have the thurobed's installed in our horse barn I'm willing to spend the extra money for my ducks to keep the stress and pressure off of their little legs/feet giving them a nice padded area as well. I also like the idea that I can sanitize everything if need be.

Link-
https://www.rammfence.com/barn/horse-barn-flooring/thurobed-mattress-system

***All photos from Ramm's website***
View attachment 2738372
View attachment 2738373
View attachment 2738375
View attachment 2738376
I don't see why not but the horse stall stuff is probably more expensive than necessary since it's going to be covered with bedding anyway.
Mine is concrete with a sheet of vinyl flooring over top of it. You can probably find a remnant piece of vinyl or even that thinner rubber mat stuff that comes on a roll a lot cheaper than the horse stall mat.
I love using chopped straw in their houses for soft fluffy bedding but it does not really absorb moisture very good so make sure you have lots of ventilation. I end up using a mixture of the pine and straw. Works out good for me.

Inside my ducks' barn we have wood and then linoleum on the ground and up the walls. I love it because I can wash the floors. For years I put thick layers of straw on top of it. Now that I don't have any ducks prone to bumblefoot I'm trying pine shavings again.

Outside is mostly grass, but there is a small area that has a concrete slab the previous home owners put down. They also left a horse stall mat. I put the stall mat over half the concrete and a foam work out puzzle mat over the other half. The puzzle mat has much more give under my feet than the horse mat, but I'm not sure how it feels to a duck that weighs less. The horse mat is easier to clean because it has no texture. I just "wipe" the poop into a pile with a dustpan every evening and use some straw to sweep it into the dustpan.

Since the area above the mats is covered and my pekin needed to stay dry all last winter and spring our vet had us keep her in our house or in the barn or on those mats. She was very prone to bumblefoot and never developed any sores - so I think they are probably good for duck feet.

Our horse stall mat is so heavy and big I can barely move it. I am rather small and have arthritis, though.

You can kind of see what I'm talking about in this video.

Back
Top Bottom