Rubber stall mats for coop floor

Trenton H

In the Brooder
Mar 3, 2022
Hi All,

Fall is getting underway here in MN, and that means winter is just around the corner.

Last year during winter, I used pine shavings as substrate in the duck run (chicken wire frame, with a tarp added to keep snow out). The shaving got wet, then froze, and generally made a big mess. I have a paver base under the run.

I was looking at TSC, and they sell rubber stall mats. These look like they would be easy to clean, at least in summer, and water will not soak in and freeze solid during winter. My question is: Are there any potential health risks to using rubber mats around ducks? And does anyone have any experience/wisdom in winterproofing a duck run, to keep from getting frozen mounds in front of the waterer? Unfortunately, I cannot free-range them, as there are too many predators around.

Thanks!

Not sure if it helps but I have stall mats inside the coop part of my run. I put shavings on top but they dig nests down to it. It works great for that. It provides insulation from the cold ground too. It isn’t as cold where I live though. I just use shavings on top of dirt in my run. I do use an insulated heated dog water bowl for water. Mine is pretty covered so even during last year’s polar vortex my shavings didn’t get wet and freeze like that. 🤷‍♀️

Not sure if it helps but I have stall mats inside the coop part of my run. I put shavings on top but they dig nests down to it. It works great for that. It provides insulation from the cold ground too. It isn’t as cold where I live though. I just use shavings on top of dirt in my run. I do use an insulated heated dog water bowl for water. Mine is pretty covered so even during last year’s polar vortex my shavings didn’t get wet and freeze like that. 🤷‍♀️
Thanks for the info! Sounds like it should well for my needs then.

Back
Top Bottom