Anyone free range broiler chickens ?

ivy_huan

Songster
May 31, 2022
Question about broilers
I'm thinking about raising a few next year but wondering if free ranging will work instead of coop them up n feed them the broiler feed.
I don't mind if it takes longer to raise them but I would like healthier meat chickens

Thank you

Question about broilers
I'm thinking about raising a few next year but wondering if free ranging will work instead of coop them up n feed them the broiler feed.
I don't mind if it takes longer to raise them but I would like healthier meat chickens

Thank you
Healthier?

The Cornish X will come to you as a healthy chick. You will feed it and it will grow very fast bc that is what it is created to do. So, you butcher at 6-8 weeks. It will still be healthy. But, they are not so good at getting away from danger bc they grow so fast. They tend to get hot easily bc their bodies are muscle making machines.

So, if you want to free range and wait longer, for a perceived “healthier” bird, then all above suggestions are good ones.

Is your plan to free range them instead of feeding them broiler feed or in addition to? A meat bird's nutritional needs cannot be met on forage alone, and particularly so for any of the commercial broilers.
We pasture all our meat birds and although they do forage quite a bit, like Molpet, I always feed them twice a day. Much depends on your free range area as well, if it's mostly just lawn, there won't be much of value there for them to eat.

Back
Top Bottom