ANYONE FROM LOUISIANA ?

My husband's from Louisiana (Lake Charles), and all his family is still there except for 1 in Texas (Beaumont, might as well be Lake Charles LOL) and 1 in Oklahoma, and of course my husband and I are out here in California.

We lived in Louisiana for 3 years in a suburb of Baton Rouge. I loved the weather, absolutely loved it! After Katrina and Rita, our landlords sold our house and we were looking for a new place. Around that same time, I had an opportunity to take a job in northern California for $10 an hour more than I was making at the hospital in Baton Rouge so we went for it!

Sometimes we think about moving back to Louisiana. I really liked the Baton Rouge area. I love the fact that the whole state stays green for 9-10 months of the year, and the sounds of the frogs and ciccadas at night. I miss that.

Quote:
Yeah, but Louisiana has the tallest state capital in the US! My husband used to work there years ago doing security. It's a gorgeous building inside and has marble from Mt. Vesuvius, from what I understand.

GATE! where in the world have you been?? your ears must be burning; I was just talking about you today! Wishing I had your big bator, as (AFTER I said I was done hatching for the year) I have some FCBMs in my little 1602 & then somebody here was begging me to hatch some Welsummers for him (I sold him my Wellie roo & he is nuts for them now).

It's nice to hear people say good things about our state -like they LIKE the weather here. Right now I'm having to stretch it a bit to say I "like" 110 heat index--- but, it does beat ice and cold for weeks on end. Definitely!

I think we have the prettiest state capitol of all (not that I've seen all of them, but some) - and every out of state visitor I've taken to it has been impressed.

What's everybody up to these days? I've been canning everything in sight. Mostly pickles.

I pickled an armadillo the other night. We were getting ready for bed, & heard one thumping & digging against a window in the living room. It was way up behind our thick hedge. Didn't want to deal with shooting it that late at night, so I took a gallon of vinegar I had sitting on the kitchen counter & went outside & poured a big splash of it into the hedge.

A small, young 'dillo shot out of the top of the hedge & landed almost on top of my slippers. I threw another splash of vinegar on him & he popped up in the air again - you know how they do -- and shot off into the darkness. I haven't seen him come back or heard him so I guess I've found a new deterrant!

I am born and raised in South Louisiana ( Lafayette )

Here is a little history lesson about the state Of Louisiana :

FYI: not a joke & not religious. Just interesting stuff about our
state.

A Little Louisiana history lesson

If Hurricane Katrina causing the levees to break in New Orleans is the
only thing you know about Louisiana, here are a few more interesting
facts about the Bayou State :

*Louisiana has the tallest state capitol building in the nation at 450
feet.

* The Louisiana SuperDome in New Orleans is the largest enclosed stadium
in the world.

* The Lake Pontchartrain Causeway is the longest over-water bridge in
the world at 23.87 miles.

* Louisiana's 6.5 million acres of wetlands are the greatest wetland
area in America.

* The oldest city in the Louisiana Purchase Territory is Natchitoches,
Louisiana founded in 1714.

* The first bottler of Coca-Cola, Joseph Bie Denharn, lived in Monroe,
Louisiana and was one of the
founders of Delta Air Lines, initially called Delta Air Service.

* Delta Airlines got its start in Monroe, Louisiana when Parish Agent,
C.E. Woolman, decided to try dusting the Boll Weevil that was destroying
the cotton crops in the Mississippi River Delta from an airplane. It was
the first crop dusting service in the world.

* Southern University in Baton Rouge, Louisiana is the largest
predominantly black university in America

* Baton Rouge was the site of the only American Revolution battle
outside the original 13 colonies.

*The formal transfer of the Louisiana Purchase was made at the Cabildo
building in New Orleans on December 20, 1803.

* The staircase at Chritien Point, in Sunset, Louisiana was copied for
Tara in "Gone with the Wind."

* Louisiana is the No. 1 producer of crawfish, alligators and shallots
in America .

* Louisiana produces 24 percent of the nation's salt, the most in America.

* Much of the world's food, coffee and oil pass through the Port of New
Orleans ..

* Tabasco, a Louisiana product, holds the second oldest food trademark
in the U.S. Patent Office.

* Steen's Syrup Mill in Abbeville, Louisiana is the world's largest
syrup plant producing sugar cane syrup.

* America's oldest rice mill is in New Iberia, Louisiana at KONRIKO Co

* The International Joke Telling Contest is held annually in Opelousas,
Louisiana.

* LSU (The Ole War Skule) in Baton Rouge has the distinction of
contributing the most officers to WW II after the U.S. Military academies.

* The Louisiana Hayride radio show helped Hank Williams, Elvis Presley
and Johnny Cash achieve stardom. It was broadcast from KWKH Radio in
Shreveport, Louisiana from 1948 to 1960.

* The term Uncle Sam was coined on the wharfs of New Orleans before
Louisiana was a U.S. Territory as goods labeled U.S. Were from "Uncle Sam."

* The game of craps was invented in New Orleans in 1813 as betting was a
common activity on the wharves.

* When states had their own currency, the Louisiana Dix (French for ten)
was a favored currency for trade. English speakers called them Dixies
and coined the term Dixieland.

* New Orleans is the home of the oldest pharmacy in America at 514
Chartres Street in the French Quarter. These early medical mixtures
became known as cocktails (guess they were good for what ails ya?),
Coining yet another term.

* New Orleans is the birthplace of Jazz, the only true American art
form. Jazz gave birth to the Blues and Rock and Roll music.

Viva La Louisiane!!!
Here! Here! I was born and raised in Metairie (suburb of New Orleans), moved to Ponchatoula about 5 years ago and love it. I have four adult daughters, 2 grandbabies- grandson-Dash 2 yrs, and granddaughter-Remy 7 months. My husband brought home 4 orphaned ducklings about 7-8 months ago, each a different species.
Cayuga - Midnight (Drake and alpha duck)
Khaki Campbell - Chocolate (Drake, wants to be alpha)
Mallard - Half-pint (Drake, easy going and bothers no one)
Pekin- Goldie (only female, nicknamed Trouble)

New problem with Chocolate & Midnight literally going head to head whenever they see each other. Everything I’ve read says, add more females (17 eggs incubating ATM), or rehome. All four of these ducks have become my babies.

Raising 9 hens and a daughter in New Orleans but my family's been here about 300 years. Love my State and it would be hard to leave. No matter how hard they make it to stay.
I couldn’t tell you how long my family’s been here but so far from research I’ve done, most of my paternal family lived in White Castle and came here from Italy around 1850, I want to say. I have 4 adult daughters, a grandson, and granddaughter...son-in-law and daughter-in-law and my baby is in her senior year of college. We moved out of the city to Ponchatoula about 4 years ago to get away from the drugs and crime and it was the best decision ever. We have 4 ducks-all different breeds, we adopted as orphaned ducklings and currently 5- 2 week old ducklings (I’ll be looking to rehome all males, and we have 15 eggs incubating with 19 days left. Love Louisiana personally and can’t picture myself ever living anywhere else, even though my husband & I traveled extensively after Katrina...we would like to find a piece of property in the country with a little acreage for our ducks and more animals-we’re animal lovers.

Nice to meet y’all!
Born and raised in Baton Rouge, moved to the Breaux Bridge/Cecilia area about 23 yrs ago. I do love not being in the city yet so close to Lafayette. I do miss living closer to my family, that will never change.
3 grown children and 3 grandchildren.
Lots of hens and 2 roosters. I have never been good at chicken math! FBCM eggs in the incubator. I have heard they are hard to hatch so wish me luck :fl

Back
Top Bottom