Anyone had a chicken recover from Salpingitis?

shiningeyes

Chirping
Mar 22, 2016
Just curious since I see a lot of posts about hens dying...has anyone had a he. Recover from Salpingitis caught early? My vet diagnosed one of my girls with it yesterday. No lash eggs but there was some swelling and pain in her ovary. No swollen abdomen. She is now on baytril. After reading all the horror stories I emailed her about the prognosis and she told me she has had good luck treating it when caught early. But I'm wondering if she's just trying to make me feel better...she acts fine except for not wanting to eat her chicken food. Only things that have enticed her so far are grapes cucumber and a few fresh pumpkins seeds. I'm hoping someone has some positive outcomes.

Just curious since I see a lot of posts about hens dying...has anyone had a he. Recover from Salpingitis caught early? My vet diagnosed one of my girls with it yesterday. No lash eggs but there was some swelling and pain in her ovary. No swollen abdomen. She is now on baytril. After reading all the horror stories I emailed her about the prognosis and she told me she has had good luck treating it when caught early. But I'm wondering if she's just trying to make me feel better...she acts fine except for not wanting to eat her chicken food. Only things that have enticed her so far are grapes cucumber and a few fresh pumpkins seeds. I'm hoping someone has some positive outcomes.
I'm sorry you're having trouble.

Salpingitis (inflammation/infection of the oviduct) if caught early can sometimes be successfully treated with antibiotics. Long-term health is usually case-by-case. There is no way to know how well she will respond to treatment and how long she will stay healthy. If your vet feels positive about treatment, then go by what she has told you.

You may want to try giving her some wet feed with some chopped egg or tuna mixed in. This may entice her to eat her normal feed which would be essential in her recovery.

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2014/12/salpingitis-lash-eggs-in-backyard.html
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2015/03/causes-of-lash-eggs-salpingitis-by.html

How did it go with your hen? Mine might also have salpingitis. I'm picking up some Baytril tomorrow. I have no idea if I'm catching it early or if she has had it for a while. Trying my best to save her.

I’m one to not hinge my expectations on “average prognoses.” Our Betty has already exceeded her 6 month prognosis by quite a bit, and I think it’s because we love her to pieces. She’s a special needs hen and lives with us in the house.

The first time we saw our Betty lay a lash egg was August 2019. We didn’t know what it was at the time. We thought it was a freak egg or something, since she is way past laying at over 5-6 years old, so it went untreated unfortunately.

In January 2020, she laid another, two weeks later another and that’s when I decided to slice it in half. Our friend got back to us and told us all the research pointed to a lash egg. At the time, no vet was seeing chickens due to the Newcastle quarantine, so the best we were able to do was put her on Tetratex, a broad spectrum antibiotic I found at the bird store. We didn’t see another lash egg for two months...last week. But now they weren’t large. They were bean-sized, and she was expelling one or two per day. We took her to a vet today finally, and he sent us home with Zeniquin, which I can easily administer in her grapes.
She’s a strong girl, and we hope we can get as much time with her as she wants to give us. ❤

I’m one to not hinge my expectations on “average prognoses.” Our Betty has already exceeded her 6 month prognosis by quite a bit, and I think it’s because we love her to pieces. She’s a special needs hen and lives with us in the house.

The first time we saw our Betty lay a lash egg was August 2019. We didn’t know what it was at the time. We thought it was a freak egg or something, since she is way past laying at over 5-6 years old, so it went untreated unfortunately.

In January 2020, she laid another, two weeks later another and that’s when I decided to slice it in half. Our friend got back to us and told us all the research pointed to a lash egg. At the time, no vet was seeing chickens due to the Newcastle quarantine, so the best we were able to do was put her on Tetratex, a broad spectrum antibiotic I found at the bird store. We didn’t see another lash egg for two months...last week. But now they weren’t large. They were bean-sized, and she was expelling one or two per day. We took her to a vet today finally, and he sent us home with Zeniquin, which I can easily administer in her grapes.
She’s a strong girl, and we hope we can get as much time with her as she wants to give us. ❤

How's Betty doing?

How's Betty doing?

Hi LJoWilly,

An update: Betty isn’t doing too well. After administering her antibiotics about two months ago, she stopped laying lash eggs for about two months. They began to recur last week. I had a refill of her antibiotics. She was on them for about 3 days, before she began having what seemed like short convulsions yesterday. They last about 5 seconds. She stiffens up and flails in her wheelchair, and then she immediately returns to normal and even takes a peck or two at her food. Needless to say, we discontinued the antibiotics, as we read that one of the side effects can be seizures.

This morning, she woke up with a big appetite and very alert. She had some convulsions today but less frequent, as we realized they seem to happen when there is too much stimulation or light, so we’ve kept her calm and covered. As the day has progressed, she’s had less of an appetite. Her crop is full, though, so maybe she’s stuffed from the morning? She is pooping small soft poops with a lot of liquid urine, not the usual creamy stuff. She’s had spurts of alertness and energy, but overall, she’s sleeping more than usual. We gave her a couple of Polyvisol drops and are keeping her as hydrated as possible, but my heart is sinking. I feel like we’re shooting in the dark. She is the light of our lives 😔

Attachments

• 9E6BEBCF-1396-4241-ABA0-11C7799F65A2.jpeg
    9E6BEBCF-1396-4241-ABA0-11C7799F65A2.jpeg
    291.9 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Hi LJoWilly,

An update: Betty isn’t doing too well. After administering her antibiotics about two months ago, she stopped laying lash eggs for about two months. They began to recur last week. I had a refill of her antibiotics. She was on them for about 3 days, before she began having what seemed like short convulsions yesterday. They last about 5 seconds. She stiffens up and flails in her wheelchair, and then she immediately returns to normal and even takes a peck or two at her food. Needless to say, we discontinued the antibiotics, as we read that one of the side effects can be seizures.

This morning, she woke up with a big appetite and very alert. She had some convulsions today but less frequent, as we realized they seem to happen when there is too much stimulation or light, so we’ve kept her calm and covered. As the day has progressed, she’s had less of an appetite. Her crop is full, though, so maybe she’s stuffed from the morning? She is pooping small soft poops with a lot of liquid urine, not the usual creamy stuff. She’s had spurts of alertness and energy, but overall, she’s sleeping more than usual. We gave her a couple of Polyvisol drops and are keeping her as hydrated as possible, but my heart is sinking. I feel like we’re shooting in the dark. She is the light of our lives 😔
:hugs

Hi LJoWilly,

I'm so sorry to hear that about your beautiful girl. Sounds like you are doing all you can for her. ((Hugs))

Back
Top Bottom