Anyone hatching on the 27th?

I think I just decided that mine are due on the 26th. I put them in early the morning of the 6th, so I now have them all out of the turner.

NO OPENING THE INCUBATOR FOR 5 DAYS.... that will be hard. Keep reminding me- NO OPENING THE 'BATOR!!

OK, do not open the bator!!!
I did last time in the middle of my hatch and before I opened it I had healthy chicks. The minute I opened it even though I maintained the humidity according to my humidistat, I did not get another chick.
They warned me on another list but got swayed by folks on here who were opening the bator and taking chicks out.
Learned my lesson and yes, it is hard!!
Gina
smile.png

Good luck with yours!
celebrate.gif
jumpy.gif

Quote:
How many hens is he servicing??? That is quite a large variety, if it is more than one or two per breed he is probably overworked. I have heard 1 roo to 10 hens is a good ratio. After that fertility goes down. My Roo should have such a variety.

I am hatching on the 1st hopefully. My fertility was very good but I have a 1 to 3 ratio (which is why I am hatching more eggs), I hope to get to 8-10 hens per roo. The Roo I am using is 6 months old and I had 12 for 12 with my eggs. I have to pen him up to keep him from harassing my girls too much.

Quote:
We have 16 hens. He is only servicing the bantys and EE's. He seems to be terrified of the orps, doesn't even bat an eye at our austrolope or cochin. He really likes one of our older EE's. She seems to be missing many feathers off of her saddle area. The BLRW hen is his constant companion but from what we have seen, he never "plays" with her. She isn't laying yet either. His favs seem to be our RIR, BR, 4 EE's and our brahma. Once in a while he gets to the fayoumi when she let's him.

I was just out cleaning their home and he really is protective of the BLRW hen...but he will attempt any of the others that come near him.

Chickens are such funny birds.

I have my first pip this morning. This a golden laced cochin bantam. They are due today.
wee.gif

I have two more after this.
celebrate.gif

Then tomorrow, I have salmon/blue salmon favorolles, giant cochin and buff orps. Whoppee. This is my first hatch using the miss prissy bator that I made.
Gina

Back
Top Bottom