Anyone have Silkies and bantam EEs or Millie Fleurs kept together?

ChickAficianado

Chirping
7 Years
Sep 2, 2012
Texas
Does anyone have issues with their Silkies playing nice? Every time I try to put my bantam babies (Millie Fleur, EE) in with my Silkies, those cute little Silkies attack them relentlessly. I have a full grown Silkie, over 3 month old Silkie, and my Millie Fleur and EE bantams are about 2 and a half months. I realize that my babies will never get as big as my Silkies, but they're just so tiny right now in comparison.

Anyone else have similar issues? I've got an action plan, but it would be nice to hear from someone with similar experiences.

If you are introducing them, the silkies probably are establishing the pecking order. Anytime there are new chickens, the current flock members feel threatened by new comers and it takes some time for them to get used to each other.
I would keep the newcomers with the silkies, but separated by a fence that they can see through. I have a penned off area in my run for newcomers and it lets the current members of my flock see the new ones but not touch them. After a week or two, I introduce them for about an hour at a time. There will be small squabbles, but that's just establishing who's dominant. Make sure the younger ones have a place to go or hide, if try need to. After a few days of this, the pecking order should be established and you can put your new birds in at night with your silkies.
I have used this method many times and all have been successful. I think they just need to get used to each other. :) good luck

Back
Top Bottom