Anyone Here from Southern New Jersey?

Pics
Hi Sharisse, Hi pinebarrens and Hi imeister! welcome!! I'm in New Egypt. Up until this past week we had Silver Laced Wyandottes & Guinea Hens. We just acquired 14 chicks of various breeds including: Americaunas, Silkies, Polish Crested, Jersey Giants, I think some Cubalayas and Rhode Islands. We started with 6 Guineas last year and are down to 5 and 6 Silver Laced Wayndottes and are down to 3 Wayndottes. Our Wayndottes are sweet, wonderful girls that enjoy foraging around us when we are gardening and they are out of their coop. Since one of them was snatched while out, we do not let them out without them being directly in our sight. We have chickens as pets and for therapy and spend hours doing what we call "watching chicken tv". My husband has severe ptsd from combat and the chickens and guineas have helped him immensely. Our Wyandottes do produce an egg a day on average and I am permanently spoiled as there are no eggs in the world better than those from my own Wayndottes! Worse yet, I just won't eat eggs anywhere else but from my chickens.

Last edited:
If you look at the run part of my coop in the coop section, I just string some plastic "hardware cloth" across part of the run using hair clips to secure the fencing to the sides of the run (galvanized hardware cloth.) The broody coop itself is a custom design by DH. I can post a photo in the Spring when we put the coop together for hatching. I never thought to take a photo. I need something for my hens, describe it to DH and he designs/builds what I need.

For now the best photo I have of the broody coop is with the roof open looking down into it:

I forgot to reply to the crazy cat trade: I have three rescue Bengals so I've really got enough crazy in my life. I quite literally have paw prints on my ceiling and I have to be careful when I shut doors because they like to perch on the tops of doors!

I am soooo excited...our first egg!!!!!!!!

Welcome Sue Iris
1f414.png
. Tell us a little about your chicks:)

I started out several years ago with a trio of Specked Sussex Bantams.......unfortunately I only had one hatch and sold a few and ended up loosing the others after a few years. I have had a few Black Copper Marans and some Welsummers as well as a few Ameraucanas from my friend Michella at DutchConnectionFarm.com over several years. Two years ago I decided I wanted small birds again and ordered a Trio of Chocolate Wyandotte Bantams. (we also raise Chocolate Labradors, so I think there is a connection here, lol) We successfully hatched some and this year added some nice Black Wyandotte Bantams from James Konecny of Royal Oaks Fowl. We finally built a new coop this summer and look forward to breeding our blacks with our chocolates. We even went to two shows this year and plan on going to a third soon! We still have a few Ameraucana hens, which hopefully will start laying again soon.
D.gif

Last edited:
Hi there! We don't have any chickens just yet, but we do live in South Jersey. We're in Woodland township.
We're planning to get chicks this spring.
yippiechickie.gif
And we have a big pile of scrap lumber which is going to magically turn itself into a coop, I guess.

I think the plan is about 6-8 hens, of 3 or 4 different breeds. They are going to be more "pets that lay eggs" than "serious egg producers." We don't have close neighbors and would not mind a rooster, too, if he behaved himself.

Hi!

I am in Camden County where I have 5 hens. The cochin has gone broody so yesterday we got her some fertile eggs from dutch connection farm, assembled the broody coop and fenced off a nursery area within the run. She is now happily sitting on 14 eggs (breda, welsummer and barnevelder.) Hatch day will be June 5th!!

I do have my coop build documented as Southern New Jersey Cluckiingham Palace.

cheers!

Back
Top Bottom