Anyone Here from Southern New Jersey?

OMG they are absolutely adorable!! I have an album on my page of them, but here's a preview!!

We are absolutely loving them... of course, how can you not love babies. I know we need to learn a lot more. We were kinda too excited and went in trial by fire style. We are learning that chickens will eat anything... our coop had some exposed insulation board and we had to immediately cover that with wood so that they don't eat that and get sick. Thank goodness we had extra material floating around! The chicks eat a lot more feed than the guinea hens and the chicks are starting to strut! It's so adorable. We're a little panicked because we didn't plan this out well and are leaving for Iceland for several weeks soon. Our tenants have promised to take care of the chickens and guineas while we are away, but being brand new baby parents, we don't have any confidence in any of the tenants because they aren't as attached as we are to them. I should just be thankful that we have tenants that said they will care for them, but I'm already pre-worried about them.

OMG they are absolutely adorable!! I have an album on my page of them, but here's a preview!! We are absolutely loving them... of course, how can you not love babies. I know we need to learn a lot more. We were kinda too excited and went in trial by fire style. We are learning that chickens will eat anything... our coop had some exposed insulation board and we had to immediately cover that with wood so that they don't eat that and get sick. Thank goodness we had extra material floating around! The chicks eat a lot more feed than the guinea hens and the chicks are starting to strut! It's so adorable. We're a little panicked because we didn't plan this out well and are leaving for Iceland for several weeks soon. Our tenants have promised to take care of the chickens and guineas while we are away, but being brand new baby parents, we don't have any confidence in any of the tenants because they aren't as attached as we are to them. I should just be thankful that we have tenants that said they will care for them, but I'm already pre-worried about them.
Oh my gosh...sooo cute!!! We are going to pick up 2 of them tomorrow and 2 orpingtons - can't wait. Worked all day today getting the coop ready for winter and installing an automatic coop door. Have a wonderful trip and keep us updated on photos!

Post a pic of the automatic door, I'm interested in seeing it. Is it automatic for the chickens or automatic for the humans? Originally, we wanted Dominiques, but when we went to pick up some, the only ones they had were Wyandottes, so we took those. We're really happy with them and figure maybe next year we'll try and get some others. Should we have a rooster too? We don't, but I keep wondering if we should.

Last edited:
I am soooo excited...our first egg!!!!!!!!

Hey Breezy.... so sorry I missed the debut of your first egg! I was out of the country for the last couple weeks. However, CONGRATULATIONS on a most perfect egg!!
yippiechickie.gif

Hey Breezy.... so sorry I missed the debut of your first egg! I was out of the country for the last couple weeks. However, CONGRATULATIONS on a most perfect egg!!  :yiipchick
Hey Harley! Hope you had a wonderful time traveling. Thank you on the congrats:) we got 6 more chicks and went thru quite a scare. They had coccidiosis -ugh!!! They all seem to be doing better now:). How are your little babies?

Welcome Sue Iris
1f414.png
. Tell us a little about your chicks:)

I started out several years ago with a trio of Specked Sussex Bantams.......unfortunately I only had one hatch and sold a few and ended up loosing the others after a few years. I have had a few Black Copper Marans and some Welsummers as well as a few Ameraucanas from my friend Michella at DutchConnectionFarm.com over several years. Two years ago I decided I wanted small birds again and ordered a Trio of Chocolate Wyandotte Bantams. (we also raise Chocolate Labradors, so I think there is a connection here, lol) We successfully hatched some and this year added some nice Black Wyandotte Bantams from James Konecny of Royal Oaks Fowl. We finally built a new coop this summer and look forward to breeding our blacks with our chocolates. We even went to two shows this year and plan on going to a third soon! We still have a few Ameraucana hens, which hopefully will start laying again soon.
D.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom