Anyone Here from Southern New Jersey?

Brick township
Just past 1 year with chickens. Enjoying them except for all the poop in the yard on the deck etc. we let them out to forage as much as we can they have lots of cover but we have had 2 hawk close calls nobody wAs hurt.
Glad nobody was hurt:) we have had a few close calls ourselves, as the chicks free range. LOL - the poop does tend to get everywhere. My grandparents use to own a home in Bricktown when I was very young. Haven't been there in years (bought my kayak in Brick a few years ago) It is a very sweet area. What made you decide to get into the chicken world?

The sister in law has chickens in ct. Came home one day with some fertile eggs. Hatched them in my hovibator
Ended up with 5 silkie x white crested black polish mixes. Figured the odds were good some would be roosters so bought 2 buff orph and 2 barred rock pullets same age. I was right only got 1 pullet from the silkie crosses. Been getting eggs everyday since last October

Nice! I've the ailkie
The sister in law has chickens in ct. Came home one day with some fertile eggs. Hatched them in my hovibator
Ended up with 5 silkie x white crested black polish mixes. Figured the odds were good some would be roosters so bought 2 buff orph and 2 barred rock pullets same age. I was right only got 1 pullet from the silkie crosses. Been getting eggs everyday since last October
Nice! I love the silkies and polish mixes. How are their dispositions?

Hi Breezy! Al finally picked up the guineas!!! I need to post the photos. I will try to in the next day or two. We have a lot of predators in our area and have been told to "double-wall" our chicken run. We also have to have chicken wire on the top too. Our run currently has chicken wire. Now we need to build the second wall about 1 foot out from the first wall with as sturdier wire that most animals won't be able to break. We are also putting a concrete barrier in the ground to prevent animals from digging under to get to the birds. Our land is mostly sandy so it won't be too difficult. We have owls, hawks, eagles, foxes, and occasional lost tiger from great adventure or the tiger lady!! (actually, we haven't had any loose big cats in years). Our little fledgling farm is only about an acre, but plenty for what we want to do!!

Phil, do you have your chicken run covered with chicken wire? How many chicken's do you have? what kind?

I just realized that you answered the how many and what kind already!!! I would love to have silkies!!

Last edited:
All I can say is OMG!!! They are adorable and getting big quick. Al went out to the brood this morning and the babies squawking up a storm. One of the babies managed to get out of the brood already and was milling around on the floor of the coop. The others were veeery unhappy to be missing one of their mates!! Al picked the lone baby up and placed it with the rest and they all shut up! They are growing so fast I can barely keep up with photos! We are having a blast with them and can't believe how much we love them!

HELLO!!!! New to Chatsworth.... recently transplanted from Utah.
I had a healthy flock that a neighbor took over in Utah, but I am so excited to start a new flock here.

It will be some time before we are ready to start... but I am hoping someone could direct me in Fresh Eggs until we get our own.

Hi Erykah! Welcome to New Jersey!! I am a 100% Jersey Girl and I hope that you come to love Jersey just as much as I do! I'm not sure where you can get fresh eggs in your area. However, your area should have plenty of local roadside farm stands and I would check them for fresh eggs. I live in New Egypt and am only 3 miles from the McGuire Air Force-Fort Dix megabase. I am also close to Great Adventure in Jackson. I am very new to the chicken world and do not have chickens yet. We just got 6 guinea fowl and are concentrating on them first. We plan to get Dominique Bantams next.

Back
Top Bottom