Anyone Here from Southern New Jersey?

**I'm cross-posting this in hopes of finding any "takers"**

Hi Jersey peeps
yippiechickie.gif

We have rooster problems at our house and I'm hoping somebody might be able to help me out.

Our baby chicks came home with us about a year ago, and turned out to contain one "surprise" speckled sussex rooster. We decided to keep him and see how that worked out. He is really excellent with the hens, and a real asset to our free-ranging flock. Unfortunately, in the last few months, he has become increasingly human aggressive, particularly toward my younger son (age 10.) I tried to follow all the advice in how to treat him as he came up... didn't baby him when he was young, walked "through" him in the yard, I've tried pinning him when he gets confrontational, tried picking up and carrying him around... at this point, I'm done. He needs to go.

If someone actually wanted him for their flock, that'd be great, but I'm not opposed to him becoming somebody's dinner either... however I would really prefer that if I'm sending him off to be killed, that I had some assurance it would be done by somebody who knew how to dispatch him humanely. So, I guess I'm asking here first... any takers? 12 month old Speckled Sussex roo. I could provide more info if needed.

The second part of this is as it turns out, we like having a rooster. We would love to replace this dude with a new guy who could manage to be just as much a gentleman to the hens, but also not try to flog my kid. So... any offers?

Hey all!
I'm looking for an Easter Egger to add to my flock. 1 or 2. Small flock. 8 hens as of now. (I can't do chicken math... The house guy keeps that in check)

If you have any leads on an EE (I mostly want the eggs blue/green) that would be great.

4 months plus please. I prefer to buy my hens close to or already laying. Thanks.

Looking into if we are even legally allowed to have a few hens for eggs. We just moved from Philly to Blackwood,NJ 08012 in, I believe, Camden County. House is humongous to us city dwellers at 4500sq ft and sits on about 3/4 of an acre at the end of a dead end road. Does anyone know if we are legally allowed to or would we even be bothered for having a few hens? No roosters and thinking about 4-6 hens depending on how many eggs that provides. Need around 3+ dozen a month? Thanks for any replies and info and hopefully look forward to getting into this hobby!

so tired of the craigslist posting to join in on an ordering and the person wants 1$ over the chick price plus splitting the shipping!
I've done this, and it was because I have to pay for the chicks ahead of time, drive (usually at 6 AM) to get the chicks, be late to work because I have to start them all eating and drinking, feed and house them, clean up after them and treat any ailments until the person can pick up IF they do pick them up and not flake and leave me with chickens I didn't want. I don't think a dollar a chick is too much to ask for that service.

Last edited:
Anyone in contact with "SNJchickens"? I see they are from my exact area in Blackwood, NJ (Camden county) and was hoping to ask some questions about law here regarding them and if I would even be bothered if I just got a few hens(3-4)

Also I have been reading up on all the possible breeds and traits like the chart here

So for beginner just looking for first and foremost, eggs and secondly, a pet/kid friendly breed and came up with these

1. Austorlorpe
2. Plymouth Rock
3. Speckled Sussex

Now I see on other sites, such as,

http://www.thehappychickencoop.com/best-beginner-chicken-breeds/

1.Rhode island red are first and foremost recommended but on that chart it says they are more for cold climates?

2.Hybrids? Since it recommends to be weary of hybrid breeders can anyone recommend one?

3. Should I be concerned about the chart listing for the Speckled Sussex under "Broodiness" it has a "Frequent" rating?

Sorry for the long, dragging post and appreciate any replies and info. My 10-yr old daughter is extremely excited about the possibility of raising a few chickens in our yard!

Back
Top Bottom