Anyone impatiently waiting for your baby chicks to arrive?!?!

I went and talked to the Post Office yesterday... haven't done this before so I wanted to make sure they'd call (like you all say they do). When I said I have chicks coming in a couple weeks, the post-mistress was SO excited!! She said they'd call at 6:30 am! So, I will be that one that will be waiting in the parking lot at 6:15... My next call is to the hatchery, to make sure that they'll be here the day after they ship... Ok, excited is tangible!! C'mon March 18th!!!

I placed another order from Ideal! My last batch are almost feathered in, they're a bit over a month old now, so I NEEDED some more babies! Last time I got:
9 EE pullets and 1 EE cockerel
3 Ancona pullets
6 Partridge Chantechler pullets and 1 cockerel
6 cuckoo Marans
I also already had 4 EEs I'd hatched from shipped eggs sent to me by a fellow BYC member.
We had some pretty bad snow storms and lost power one night while I was sleeping, I lost 6 before I got out there to check on them and bring them inside :hit So, I then added 3 ducklings to the mix when I went into TSC against my better judgement. 2 Pekins and a Khaki Campbell. My DH just rolled his eyes when I came home with that peeping box :D
Yesterday I ordered:
8 more EE pullets
6 more partridge Chantechler pullets
3 white Leghorn pullets
3 Cayuga pullets and 1 drake (I've been looking everywhere for Cayuga ducklings or hatching eggs, so those were gonna be mine!!!).
I wanted to add some Le Fleche, Welsummers and more Marans to my order, but they were already sold out until fall. I'd have to wait until next year for the Le Fleche (which is a breed I've been wanting for a long time)! Oh well, I was just happy they had those Cayugas! Now i just have to wait until 5/20 to get them :/ Last time I ordered, Ideal called and bumped my order up so I only had to wait a week for them. Hopefully they'll do that again and I wont have to wait so long :oops: :gig

I placed another order from Ideal! My last batch are almost feathered in, they're a bit over a month old now, so I NEEDED some more babies! Last time I got:
9 EE pullets and 1 EE cockerel
3 Ancona pullets
6 Partridge Chantechler pullets and 1 cockerel
6 cuckoo Marans
I also already had 4 EEs I'd hatched from shipped eggs sent to me by a fellow BYC member.
We had some pretty bad snow storms and lost power one night while I was sleeping, I lost 6 before I got out there to check on them and bring them inside
hit.gif
So, I then added 3 ducklings to the mix when I went into TSC against my better judgement. 2 Pekins and a Khaki Campbell. My DH just rolled his eyes when I came home with that peeping box
big_smile.png

Yesterday I ordered:
8 more EE pullets
6 more partridge Chantechler pullets
3 white Leghorn pullets
3 Cayuga pullets and 1 drake (I've been looking everywhere for Cayuga ducklings or hatching eggs, so those were gonna be mine!!!).
I wanted to add some Le Fleche, Welsummers and more Marans to my order, but they were already sold out until fall. I'd have to wait until next year for the Le Fleche (which is a breed I've been wanting for a long time)! Oh well, I was just happy they had those Cayugas! Now i just have to wait until 5/20 to get them
hmm.png
Last time I ordered, Ideal called and bumped my order up so I only had to wait a week for them. Hopefully they'll do that again and I wont have to wait so long
hide.gif
gig.gif
you're just like me! lol I now have 65 little babies. The oldest ones are 5 weeks old. ;D I have 6 ducks in that lot too! AND I have eggs in the incubator and under a broody... lol chicks chicks chicks! I have a whole bedroom dedicated to them! lol keeping the ducks satisfied has been the most challenging so far, but hubby decided to give them a whole big tub of low water to play with. lol ducks are all his except one. I think its a "he" and his name is gucky. He follows me around the house quacking. =D SO CUTE! oh and he gobbles up mealworms =P

Hey quick question for you. Does Ideal charge for shipping? like when I got from McMurray, I had a $20 shipping charge... I checked their website and didn't give me any shipping prices.

Maybe I MIGHT have a bit of a chicken hoarding problem :p Maybe. I'll definitely share some pictures of the Silkies/Sizzles when they dry off. I've got 2 out so far, a splash and a tiny little black or blue. There are still 6 eggs hanging out in the 'bator, so I'm waiting to see if they're going to do anything or not. I had a couple of pretty long power outages during this batch, so I'm impressed anything has hatched at all.

I also forgot, I have a broody sitting on 10 eggs too :gig

Ideal does charge for shipping. With this order, it was $4.10. They also charge a $7.00 boxing fee as well, but I don't think that's too terrible. The one thing I really like about Ideal is that they don't have a 25 chick minimum like McMurray. They have a $25 minimum, so you just have to spend $25. They also give you 4 days to account for DOAs or chicks that succumb to shipping stress, instead of the usual 24-48 hours most hatcheries allow. I've always been super happy with their birds :)

I ALSO forgot that I ordered 4 blue, black and splash standard Cochins pullets with this last order! I plan to use them mostly for brooding eggs. My Silkies and Sizzles do a good job hatching and raising chicks, but I can stuff a lot of eggs under those big 'ol Cochin girls! The last LF Cochins I got from Ideal were gorgeous too, so I'm excited to get more!

Last edited:
I guess I should've said they did charge me a shipping charge :) I am pretty far from them though, in TN. Maybe they didn't charge you because you're much closer? I can still certainly deal with $4.10 though!

Maybe I MIGHT have a bit of a chicken hoarding problem
tongue.png
Maybe. I'll definitely share some pictures of the Silkies/Sizzles when they dry off. I've got 2 out so far, a splash and a tiny little black or blue. There are still 6 eggs hanging out in the 'bator, so I'm waiting to see if they're going to do anything or not. I had a couple of pretty long power outages during this batch, so I'm impressed anything has hatched at all.

I also forgot, I have a broody sitting on 10 eggs too
gig.gif

Ideal does charge for shipping. With this order, it was $4.10. They also charge a $7.00 boxing fee as well, but I don't think that's too terrible. The one thing I really like about Ideal is that they don't have a 25 chick minimum like McMurray. They have a $25 minimum, so you just have to spend $25. They also give you 4 days to account for DOAs or chicks that succumb to shipping stress, instead of the usual 24-48 hours most hatcheries allow. I've always been super happy with their birds
smile.png

I ALSO forgot that I ordered 4 blue, black and splash standard Cochins pullets with this last order! I plan to use them mostly for brooding eggs. My Silkies and Sizzles do a good job hatching and raising chicks, but I can stuff a lot of eggs under those big 'ol Cochin girls! The last LF Cochins I got from Ideal were gorgeous too, so I'm excited to get more!
You brought up some positives for ideal for sure and I will remember them...IIRC, my only issue with Ideal, and the only reason I didn't order, was I had to get str8 run on the birds I wanted and McMurray allowed me to choose sex...And being addicts, buying more than we wanted was par....LOL

I also want to add, I asked McMurray if there was any way they could mark the males for me, they had no problem doing that for me...THAT was big for me as I want to group them into 1m2f/grp...Knowing saves me time...

Last edited:
Gotcha. Maybe they won't charge for AR. I need to get, i mean let me rephrase that, I "want" to get some turkeys and they seem to have some available =D idk what hubby will say for the gobble gobbles. Can't overwhelm him, he goes into nervous breakdowns hahaha

Back
Top Bottom