Anyone impatiently waiting for your baby chicks to arrive?!?!

Kadu

Songster
5 Years
Sep 11, 2014
Fayetteville, AR
I am! I ordered 25 chicks from McMurray Hatchery. Oh! and one exotic breed chick!
wee.gif

4 Pearl White Leghorn pullets
1 Pearl White Leghorn Cockerel
9 Buff Orpington pullets
1 Buff Orpington cockerel
9 White Rock pullets
1 Dark Cornish cockerel
1 Exotic rare chick

After ordering I realized, they're all gonna look yellow as chicks! =D Well, except the dark cornish cockerel and the exotic one I guess...

If they all survive,
I'm planning on breeding my own version of meat chickens using the white rocks and dark cornish roo. I know, they're not gonna be as big, or even close to commercial birds, but I just wanted to have some fun with that. Buff orpingtons are also meant to be for meat, but that would be the next generation. Leg horns are for eggs. =)

Soooo, that's my plan! What's yours? and when are you going to buy more chicks? How many? from where? what breeds? why? =D

First picture =D at the post office

I had to grind their food cz I felt like it was too big for them. But they preferred the crumbles =/

The one with black spots is Morgan Grimes. =D He's a dark cornish cockerel.

Morgan

We're having record low temperatures and just received the email that our chicks have shipped. Only 15 chicks in the box. Usually it's in the 50s -60s. This year it's below freezing. :(p
Just a ray of hope for you, we ordered only 5 and it was below zero the two nights following their ship date. All arrived alive and well. Here's a picture of them now.

THEY ALL MADE IT!!!!! We drove over there at 5:50- just then the PM called and said he heard peeping!!! He also said he called Milwaukee and asked the driver to put them in the cab- made all the difference.! Have them in my teaching room right next to me- of course co-worker

s think I'm bonkers but harmless:) 5 barred rock, 5 buff:):) !!!!!!

I think they should be fine :hugs

They're pretty good at adjusting for heat and they know to eat and drink... =) You might have to clean some poopy butts when you go home though =D

Hope you get to go home early though =) Good Luck!

You were right! I cam home a little early to find 11 thriving little chicks. The Light Brahma chicks are my favorite. The are SO fulffy. You can already tell a big difference in fluffyness compared to the others, and they have feathery feet already. But I love them all. And my one little surviving Welsummer chick looks like a chipmunk, so cute.

Mine have been in the brooder for a little over 24 hours since coming home from the post office / Meyer and all is still good (fingers crossed).

Got one of those. Just went through World War III regarding the fact that not doing homework = loss of electronic privileges. We're up to 12 days of silence from the electronic babysitter! Gosh, they're cute as babies, aren't they?

Back
Top Bottom