Anyone impatiently waiting for your baby chicks to arrive?!?!

We're having record low temperatures and just received the email that our chicks have shipped. Only 15 chicks in the box. Usually it's in the 50s -60s. This year it's below freezing. :(p
Just a ray of hope for you, we ordered only 5 and it was below zero the two nights following their ship date. All arrived alive and well. Here's a picture of them now.

Just a ray of hope for you, we ordered only 5 and it was below zero the two nights following their ship date. All arrived alive and well. Here's a picture of them now. [/quote Oh they are darling!! Thank you for the encouragement. I got notice this am that Cackle printed a shipping label but so far no movement on the order when I check the tracking. What variety hens? Soooo cute. A question. Cackle said they'd ship my supplies earlier then the hens but I haven't received anything. Did you order from cackle?

@KensingtonHens Yes we ordered from Cackle, but we did not order our supplies through them. We built our own brooder and got our other supplies from the local TSC. We ordered New Hampshire Reds, we were looking for a good dual purpose bird.

Thank you for sharing- I am so nervous and live near Milwaukee WI. The last 5 from cackle died about 20 min before we got them.We too ordered form Cackle..
D.gif

Last edited:
Great to see all the cute little babies !!

I hope everyone's orders come in alive and well.

I am waiting for my cackle surprise for next week. Tsc has chick days any day now so I may get some there. In the past month I have received CX from Meyer , choice layers from McMurray , special pullets from ideal and a special from mt healthy with half as hatched and the other half cockerels. I am swarming in chicks lol. I ordered another from ideal but they were all dead and the same fate for the replacements.

My post office clerk told me they can't put the chicks in the front of the truck because it is mail and they must be locked in the back. I think the usps needs to change their guidelines for live animals and maybe we wouldn't get boxes of dead chicks.

Just got the word this evening that mine are in the mail, from Meyer. I really hope they make it. I have 23 coming, my first chickens. They have been canceled once already due to the cold and I am ready for the anticiptation to be over ! I have had the brooder set up for weeks now, practicing getting the temperature right and pleasure reading BYC threads and I need these chicks to arrive so I can put an end to my own over preparation.

I have recently moved to the mountains and out of the city, and I feel like the arrival of the chicks means crossing the symbolic threshold between always having wanted to live on a farm to actually doing it. So hurry up chicks! They are due Wednesday morning, wish us luck.

GL!  We are in the same boat.  We purchased our hobby farm in November of last year and we will be getting our first chickens, too!  What breed are you getting?

We are trying several different ones so we can see what we like and what works:

Buff Orpington
Black Australorp
Light Brahama
Barred Rock
Welsummer

Got hens and roosters of all breeds with plans to pick our favorite rooster/breed to keep and cull the rest of the males. DH will have to do that part but he is willing, I just hope I can stomach it. But this is supposed to be a darm after all. We selected bigger breeds for the most part hoping they might be a little harder for predators to snag? We back up to the national forest. I heard a coyote the other morning.

When are yours arriving? GOod luck to everyone. I will post a picture of mine when the come if they make it!

Just make sure you have a secure place for them. You can also buy a few more than you need so if you do get a predator problem then you won't have to start so many from chicks.

Back
Top Bottom