Anyone impatiently waiting for your baby chicks to arrive?!?!

Mine are scheduled to be shipped on April 22. My mom sent me 2 chicks to hold me until I get mine in.

Just a ray of hope for you, we ordered only 5 and it was below zero the two nights following their ship date. All arrived alive and well. Here's a picture of them now.

Many thank you for this ray of hope. It was -3 in my area last night. Knowing my chicks were in the mail, I dreamed that I received them and only about half were alive. In my dream I was super bummed that none of the Black Australorps made it. But I ordered 23 so I am really hoping they are keeping each other warm. Tracking says they will arrive tomorrow. Is it always in the morning that they come? Should I wait for the PO to call or just go over there first thing? So nervous about ending up with a box of frozen chicken nuggets.

I've called the post office (2 times now) to let them know we are getting them in tomorrow. They said that they would call as it's rolling in , but I'm thinking we just show up at 6.

On the excellent advice of "seasoned" forum members and after reading horror stories of dead chicks from chilling, I cancelled my February order from Meyers. Unfortunately, the chicks I really wanted (Australorp) wasn't available again from them until mid-June and I don't have that much patience, so I just ordered from McMurray for an April 15 delivery. The temps in Kentucky stabilize then to an average high of 65, low of 45, and I feel a lot more comfortable with that in shipping. I figure it will give me less than a month indoor brooding, more play time to spend in the yard with chicks, and then OUT before they suffocate me with dust. Also hoping they'll be well-adjusted to the coop at 6-7 months old before cold weather hits us again in late 2015.

I ordered a mix of standard breeds - Australorp, Barred Rock, Americauna and Buff Ops. I hope these breeds are all tolerant of each other and require similar care. Any thoughts on compatibility would be much appreciated!

The 57-day countdown begins....right now
barnie.gif

Last edited:
On the excellent advice of "seasoned" forum members and after reading horror stories of dead chicks from chilling, I cancelled my February order from Meyers. Unfortunately, the chicks I really wanted (Australorp) wasn't available again from them until mid-June and I don't have that much patience, so I just ordered from McMurray for an April 15 delivery. The temps in Kentucky stabilize then to an average high of 65, low of 45, and I feel a lot more comfortable with that in shipping. I figure it will give me less than a month indoor brooding, more play time to spend in the yard with chicks, and then OUT before they suffocate me with dust. Also hoping they'll be well-adjusted to the coop at 6-7 months old before cold weather hits us again in late 2015.

I ordered a mix of standard breeds - Australorp, Barred Rock, Americauna and Buff Ops. I hope these breeds are all tolerant of each other and require similar care. Any thoughts on compatibility would be much appreciated!

The 57-day countdown begins....right now
barnie.gif
I have Black Australorps, Barred Rocks and an Ameraucana (EE) and they all get along just fine.

I've called the post office (2 times now) to let them know we are getting them in tomorrow. They said that they would call as it's rolling in , but I'm thinking we just show up at 6.

Mine come in tomorrow as well, I'm going to just go get them. Mailman said they'd be about 6am. I'm in San Diego so it's not too cold here 54-72. But why wait. They are coming from Cackle where it's been really cold. Hope yours arrive safe and warm!!

Back
Top Bottom