Anyone impatiently waiting for your baby chicks to arrive?!?!

I should be receiving my order of cornish X's from Meyer's tomorrow am. I knew our temps down here in FL would be ok for my outdoor brooder setup. But, certainly wasn't thinking about 6 degree temps yesterday in Ohio when they shipped, hoping they'll be ok.

I should be receiving my order of cornish X's from Meyer's tomorrow am. I knew our temps down here in FL would be ok for my outdoor brooder setup. But, certainly wasn't thinking about 6 degree temps yesterday in Ohio when they shipped, hoping they'll be ok.
You just never know which route they'll take with USPS! They seem to zigzag all over when I'd like them to just drive, you know, straight to my house please :)

This weather is the pits. I know New England has it far worse, but a foot of snow out in the hilly countryside can be quite tricky. We don't have any chickens yet, and when I looked outside during the storm I was thankful for that. We do have horses that had to be tended to in a foot of snow, and sub zero temps, but they are a little hardier I think. We live on a gravel road that doesn't get plowed, so it is rough getting out, 4WD was the only thing that saved us. "Kentucky was closed" that made me laugh. Hubby and daughter did make it to UK on Wednesday, but I was very happy to see them close Thurs and Fri.

I am glad you were able to change your order.

I ordered all pullets, so keeping fingers crossed there are no surprises. I am in the same boat, don't really want a rooster, but I am not sure what we would do if we end up with one. Have you joined the Lawrenceburg Chicken Swap page on Facebook? They are always swapping and selling chickens, you could probably find someone to take your roo.

I'm on top of a hill with a gravel drive to the house, so I really do know how secluding it can be in KY with snow and ice. I had the same thoughts about getting down to the chicken house and hope next winter doesn't dump on us again. I did rehab for Fish and Wildlife for years when on my Clark County farm, and had lots of critters as well as our horses to take care of but I was a lot younger then and can only remember the one big snow (the surprise "dusting" I'm sure you remember about 15 years ago). Do they work or go to school at UK? I work at the VA next door to UKMC and didn't make it in all week but I hear campus was deserted.

McMurray throws in that "mystery chick" unless you uncheck the box at checkout and by the time I realized they do that and it's usually roos, I'd submitted the order and become too curious to know what they'd send to call and cancel. Maybe one wouldn't be too bad, but my old neighbors had fighting roosters (about 100) once and although they were over a mile away, it was ridiculous. My neighbors now aren't close, but I do like them.

I'll check out the swap page - thanks!

What a jerk! My Postmasters have been awesome and gave the to us at the back door first thing in the morning. Called literally the moment the truck pulled up.

Thank you for such nice support, Leanne. He was nice about it at least, but what could I do? At least it's not cold here, but they will have been in transit all night. I don't know if I'll do this again. Ordering in the winter.

Are you freakin kidding me?!!! Can you meet them at the airport? Are they willing to refund you iof your chicks die? What an a@#!!!

I wish I could meet them. Not with security like it is. Thanks for the support, I really appreciate it! They will refund but sooooo sad. I'm going to just think happy thoughts and order in the spring next time.

I feel your pain.

Thank you for such nice support, Leanne. He was nice about it at least, but what could I do? At least it's not cold here, but they will have been in transit all night. I don't know if I'll do this again. Ordering in the winter.
When I placed the order, I didn't realize that last week would be a postal holiday. I actually didn't realize this until the Friday prior. I considered postponing my order, and of course hindsight is 20/20, but in reality I have to consider that the chicks would likely have been destroyed anyway because of me giving such short notice of changing dates.

After last week's disaster, I didn't want to do it again, either. But it turned out just fine. Let's just presume that your order will turn out fine as well!

I still think your PM is a jerk regardless, though!

Gah what is the point of being able to track your shipment if it is never updated. The tracking still says they are at the origin shipment in ohio and they are supposed to be here tomorrow morning. I had to arrange to be off work to get them so I hope they are on time and not all dead.

Gah what is the point of being able to track your shipment if it is never updated. The tracking still says they are at the origin shipment in ohio and they are supposed to be here tomorrow morning. I had to arrange to be off work to get them so I hope they are on time and not all dead.
Mine never updated after "Leaving Origin Facility" on Saturday night.

I even had them text me updates on the package. I got a message earlier today that my status was "Notice left - insecure area"...
hu.gif

Back
Top Bottom