Anyone impatiently waiting for your baby chicks to arrive?!?!

Mine are all grown up.
cool.png
and
tongue2.gif

I think they are cute as babies so we will be motivated to care for them. Then it is like a HAHAHA made you take care of them from mother nature when they hit the teens.

Yes! I ordered from Murray McMurray and am waiting for:

3 Barred Rocks (females)
5 Buff Orpingtons (straight run)
3 Blue Laced Red Wyandottes (straight run)
6 Welsummers (straight run)
8 Easter Egger (females)
1 free chick

They should arrive March 23rd. That is a long time from now!!! We will send the roosters to freezer camp. We're hoping to get some Icelandics at some point in the future and then we will keep one or two of them as our rooster(s). They are proving to be difficult to find, though.

Last edited:
After my shipment of 22 from Meyer came with only 50% of chicks living, I decided to replace the lost ones locally instead of getting another shipment. Less variety, but I was able to get some that I wanted. The local birds are all active, strong and doing well. I am mainly just mourning that I only have 1 surviving welsummer and I couldn't find those here. But for me, better than having to take off time from work to pick up more chicks (possibly more dead ones) from the PO.

However, I did mix chicks that were up to 1 week apart in age and there is a big size difference. They seem to be getting along but I am hearing a lot more "OUCH!" peeps than I was before. Surprisingly it is the Buff Orpingtons how are going around pecking people's eyes. I thought they were supposed to be nice!

After my shipment of 22 from Meyer came with only 50% of chicks living, I decided to replace the lost ones locally instead of getting another shipment. Less variety, but I was able to get some that I wanted. The local birds are all active, strong and doing well. I am mainly just mourning that I only have 1 surviving welsummer and I couldn't find those here. But for me, better than having to take off time from work to pick up more chicks (possibly more dead ones) from the PO.

However, I did mix chicks that were up to 1 week apart in age and there is a big size difference. They seem to be getting along but I am hearing a lot more "OUCH!" peeps than I was before. Surprisingly it is the Buff Orpingtons how are going around pecking people's eyes. I thought they were supposed to be nice!
I understand completely. I opted to have a replacement order shipped because we had a break in the weather last weekend.

Where are you located? Maybe someone here near you has Welsummers or knows where to get them.

I know I have absolutely no reason to panic yet, but, well I'm getting there. My chicks shipped Wed. They are suppose to arrive in my southern post office today. There has been no update since they left Missouri. Just that they have departed for their destination. We had an unusual snowstorm here a few days ago and we are still trying to get the roads cleared. I am worried that my little chicks are not going to get to our town due to the roads. Impatiently waiting for my little chicklets....

I just checked Fayetteville Poultry, to see if they had any Welsummers left, sorry but they are sold out. That is where I got mine. They are in NC. Give him a call maybe he can help you find some.

Good luck.

I am! I ordered 25 chicks from McMurray Hatchery. Oh! and one exotic breed chick!
wee.gif

4 Pearl White Leghorn pullets
1 Pearl White Leghorn Cockerel
9 Buff Orpington pullets
1 Buff Orpington cockerel
9 White Rock pullets
1 Dark Cornish cockerel
1 Exotic rare chick

After ordering I realized, they're all gonna look yellow as chicks! =D Well, except the dark cornish cockerel and the exotic one I guess...

If they all survive,
I'm planning on breeding my own version of meat chickens using the white rocks and dark cornish roo. I know, they're not gonna be as big, or even close to commercial birds, but I just wanted to have some fun with that. Buff orpingtons are also meant to be for meat, but that would be the next generation. Leg horns are for eggs. =)

Soooo, that's my plan! What's yours? and when are you going to buy more chicks? How many? from where? what breeds? why? =D
This is my first time with chickens, I have 12 coming from Ideal Poultry.

3 Ameraucanas
3 Gold Sex Links
3 White Leghorns
3 Black Australorps

They are shipping on April 22 (Two months is going to be a looong time), any rooster PEANUTS will go to freezer camp. Getting them for the eggs of course, and should have a colorful collection.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom