Anyone impatiently waiting for your baby chicks to arrive?!?!

Well I got chicks this morning, 2 out of 4 anyway. I called yesterday to see where they were and was assured they were safe at "the plant" whatever that is. So I called this morning no answer. Called again, no answer. So I showed up (its 2 blocks) at 7:35 and beat on their door. Crazy, 7 people inside that somehow never heard the phone ring. So I got my chicks and beat it to the house to find the SLW dead in the box and the easter egger barely able to hold up her head. So I got a syringe and save-a-chick with some sugar to no avail. She lasted about 30 minutes. I have 4 local F2 olive egger eggs in the incubator so hopefully all goes well. Seems to be running perfect. I've never ordered chicks in the mail and have to say it hasn't been a great experience so far from the first order not getting shipped to the second order 50% mortality rate. I emailed them to let them know the deal so we shall see what happens.

Well I got chicks this morning, 2 out of 4 anyway. I called yesterday to see where they were and was assured they were safe at "the plant" whatever that is. So I called this morning no answer. Called again, no answer. So I showed up (its 2 blocks) at 7:35 and beat on their door. Crazy, 7 people inside that somehow never heard the phone ring. So I got my chicks and beat it to the house to find the SLW dead in the box and the easter egger barely able to hold up her head. So I got a syringe and save-a-chick with some sugar to no avail. She lasted about 30 minutes. I have 4 local F2 olive egger eggs in the incubator so hopefully all goes well. Seems to be running perfect. I've never ordered chicks in the mail and have to say it hasn't been a great experience so far from the first order not getting shipped to the second order 50% mortality rate. I emailed them to let them know the deal so we shall see what happens.
aww I'm so sorry you had to go through that... =( I had the same problem with the post office, but I found a number to the back of the office online, and that's the number I called. Maybe the number you have is for the front counters... Still, how can they not answer a ringing phone?! At least you have 2 babies left.. are they doing good?

A couple of my chicks seem noticably less active and sleep a lot more than the others. I don't think I would think much of it but I noticed they are the same chicks who looked like they werent going to make it when I first got them. Is there anything I can/ should do for them to help them get going?

All my chicks are getting water with Life Lyte tabs (electralyte/vitamin supplement) in the water. I did pick these chicks up and give them some with a dropper this evening and they drank it -but they also struggled to get away from me with more vigor than when they were 'sick chicks' upon arrival this morning. They walk around a little, and then just plop down and sleep. I see them peck at this and that, but they just don't seem to be eating, drinking, and running around like the others.

Normal variation in behavior, or are they just weaker? Anything I can do?

Then I have one really thirsty chick. Every time I see here she is drinking. Good for her.
How are they doing today?

I was in the process of incubating and got worried none might hatch. So last week I started looking. If you look on the site there is an availability tab, it might only show the month, but then there was a hatching schedule it seemed. Anyways, I sent in my order and then sent an email telling them I needed them to arrive by the next Friday so they could be in the brooder with my incubating chicks. A lady called me within an hour and said a few of my originally requested breed were unavailable but she told me what I could substitute. There was plenty to choose from. All great breeds. She said they would ship on Wed. This was last Friday, they sent a confirmation for shipping on Wed afternoon and they arrived this morning. So I got my order in exactly one week. They were excellent to communicate with and the little chicks are so healthy and perky. Not stressed out like many complain about. I would certainly order from them again. You could just call and see what they have available to ship soon if you're in a hurry.

Thank you very much for all the info much appreciated!!! I must have overlooked the hatch dates because I was on my phone but I found them. I'm glad you're experience was so good!!! I ended up ordering a few. Hopefully I will have a positive and easy experience as well.

Can I ask which chicks you ordered? Still new to identifying the little ones my eye isn't quite trained yet lol

Great! I hope your experience is the same. I ordered a barred Plymouth(Black/white chick), a welsummer(chipmunk), a speckled sussex(chipmunk with well defined dark dot on head), a light brahma(light yellow/feathered feet) and a buff orpington(peachy colored). I found Chickensforbackyards has a Facebook page also with videos of the breeds and their chicks. That's how I identified mine once I got them. Hope that helps:)

Thanks for asking. One seems fully recovered, doing great. The other on didn't make it. :( It was sad to see her go after hanging on for so long. But the little barred rock hen who seemed in an equally bad way is up pecking and drinking and running around like everyone else so that's a relief at least. She's the only surviving BR out of the 4 i ordered.

But now I also have the 12 additions from my local farm store and so 22 in all are fun to watch. The oldest are 9 days old and I think they are about to take off! Had to put the lid on.

The Aricaunas that I got locally are hilarious. I am raising them for a friend but I kind of wish I had gotten some for me too. The firs tthing they did was find a pile of spilled food and take a nice "dust" bath.

How are yours?

aww I'm so sorry you had to go through that... =( I had the same problem with the post office, but I found a number to the back of the office online, and that's the number I called. Maybe the number you have is for the front counters... Still, how can they not answer a ringing phone?! At least you have 2 babies left.. are they doing good?
The 2 survivors are doing wonderful! Thank God. I gotta pick up my daughter at 4 and she's going to be expecting chicks!

Oh yes, she's ok with it. Especially if she knows I tried really hard to save the sickly one. I'm a Flight Paramedic and she knows the baby girls have the best watcher…me
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom