Anyone impatiently waiting for your baby chicks to arrive?!?!

I do not think that is cheating at all. You wont have to have the heat lamp or the pasty butts to deal with. Smart move.
Mine are also coming from Mt Healthy. Mine are getting shipped to a localish feed store. It is a 120 mile one way trip for me to pick them up. :sick I will have to make this trip twice since all the breeds are not available in the same week.
The most local feed store with chicks for me is 3 hours one way. If I'm going to the feed store, it's a day long trip. I can't go whenever I want, either. I have to wait until someone else is already going. And I can't got Thursday through Saturday, when people usually go. So it takes me a month or two to nail down a day I can go. Then they don't have any chicks, at least not chicks I want. Further complicated this year by the fact that no one will do special orders anymore. Only by chance am I able to get any chicks this year.

well im cheating im buying from a local farm that gets day old sexed chicks from mt healthy hatchery in ohio. they raise them until 8 weeks old and sell them at $8 each. i ordered 12 white leghorn pullets and 8 golden comet pullets. im picking them up end of april.

That is a really good deal. I would prefer doing it that way myself...so much less hassle, reduced risk of mortality...and from the sellers perspective, the customer is not getting chicks for the "cute" factor, only to lose interest later.

Last edited:
Anira
I think it is wonderful you will be able to get some this year then. It sounds like it is a real hassle to make a trip to the feed store for you so waiting on chance would be a drag.

Sierranomad

Good point about the cute factor. I know with Easter coming there will be a lot of homeless chicks a month or two later.

I see a ton of posts on craigs list of folks trying to offload the older hens already this year.

I just got a confirmation email that my order from Ideal Poultry has shipped!!.. my hatch date was suppose to be tomorrow but i'm sooooo glad it was today! I can't wait to upload pictures and start tracking their growth...
yippiechickie.gif

It has been one week since I picked my chicks up from the PO. Here they are, going to bed after another tiring day of being little chickens. That thermometer reads 100F. The way they are bunched up around it, I am wondering if I should wait to decrease the temp another couple of days.

There are a couple of older chicks in there too, from the local farm store. Less worried about them than the littler ones. I have let it be pretty warm in there when I go to bed because they are in an unheated mudroom where it gets into the 20s at night, so I rather leave them a little warm in case it cools off more overnight. They have a decent sized brooder and can get away.

Time to decrease temp or no?

This waiting is KILLING me. I've got about 8 days give or take left and
barnie.gif
it's not soon enough. Finally putt the cardboard brooder together in the laundry room this morning, but now I'm bored and back to watching the grass grown. *ticktockticktock*

Back
Top Bottom