Anyone impatiently waiting for your baby chicks to arrive?!?!

Just a few weeks til my baby girlies arrive. Has anyone used KOOP CLEAN in their brooder? Any plus or minuses to using it? My hubby is NOT happy that the bitties will be in the house. He was told the smell awful! Well, I'm not sitting in the garage all day long to hang out with the girls, so I need ideas on how to keep the stink down. Thank you. By the way, LOVE the pics of all your little chicks. Makes it easier to wait dreaming about those fluffy butts
Haven't used it. Here's my crazy experience that we laugh about now.

My 1st year chicks, 43 total, were kept in our living room until the coop and pen were finished. We tend to get the cart ahead of the horse at our house.
big_smile.png
The chicks were 8 weeks old when they were moved to their coop/pen. During the day, I put them on the patio which helped. I won't lie when they get bigger it smells. Which is why they went on the patio once they feather out and they could run around.

Last year chicks, 15 total, were kept in LR again. These were taken to a side pen during the day once it warmed up. The smell wasn't as bad.

At the moment I have 4 pekin ducks in the LR. They smell more than the chicks. I change the shavings twice a day on them.

With the chicks, I changed the shavings once a day. I also did spot cleaning with a torn piece of paper towel. The first 1st year chickens are very friendly. It is worth the trouble. Enjoy them while you can.

One more thing, they create extra dust in the house.

I too hate dusting and my dust is not lonely at all right now. I have 23 in the brooder just to my left in my office. They are still quite small and do not stink. I smell pine shavings. I did notice when they dust bathe in the shavings it does stir up dust.
I set the big brooder up in the coop today so I can check temps. I plan on having them out of the house within 2 to 3 weeks max.

Is it worth it keeping them in the house? I think so since I can keep a closer watch on them this way.

I'm so glad that I'm not the only one with dusting issues and keeping chicks in the house too.

On the subject of impatiently waiting for baby chicks. I have a ship date, March 23rd., for at least 40 chicks. I can't wait!

We are waiting for our huge order from Ideal Poultry.

36 Ameracuana pullets
1 Ameracuna rooster
13 Black Australorpe pullets
12 Buff Orpington pullets
1 Buff Orpington rooster
12 Buff Brahma pullets
13 Partridge Rock pullets
1 Partridge Rock rooster
11 White Rock pullets
25 Red Broilers SR
6 Bronze Turkey SR

Sooo can't wait!!!! We lost so many last year, and the rest of our flock is pretty old. So time for some new blood. Due to be here mid April. Thought I've called and begged to have them shipped earlier LOL

1 month ago i got my order from murray mcmurray.. i ordered 1 dark cornish, 2 sumatra, 1 silver spangles hamburg, 1 new hampshire red, 1 buff laced polish, 1 silver and 1 golden laced wyandottes, 1 salman faverolles, 1 barred rock, 1 white cochin, and my free chick turned out to be another barred rock. i was so happy when i picked them up!!! they are all healthy and growing fast! best wishes for your flock!!!!

I'm counting down the days 'til April 27th when our shipment of backyard layers will arrive. 9 chickens, 6 breeds. Just in time to celebrate 1 year keeping chickens! It can't come fast enough, especially since we're going on vacation once the little buggers are in the coop!

Back
Top Bottom