Anyone impatiently waiting for your baby chicks to arrive?!?!

I am using the EcoGlo but in the bathroom. We had too many nights below freezing when the chicks arrived. Now that it has warmed up, I plan to move them and the heater to the garage.
How do you like the EcoGlo? Did you use it inside? I'm planning to use it in the garage and I'm beginning to get nervous it's not going to be enough...?!

Yes, my first shipment is going out today from Meyers. I have another one coming from Ideal that should ship out this Wednesday.

Yes, my first shipment is going out today from Meyers. I have another one coming from Ideal that should ship out this Wednesday.

Have you had chicks shipped to Oregon before? I'm so nervous about mine coming! Mine are coming from Townline in Michigan to Idaho... I'm curious, if they ship on Tuesday, do they arrive at 6:30am Wednesday or Thursday?? And with March temps, they should (mostly) be ok, right?!
hmm.png

Last edited:
Have you had chicks shipped to Oregon before? I'm so nervous about mine coming! Mine are coming from Townline in Michigan to Idaho... I'm curious, if they ship on Tuesday, do they arrive at 6:30am Wednesday or Thursday??
Yes, I had chicks shipped from McMurray last year. They shipped on a Saturday and arrived on Sunday. The sorting facility 30 minutes north of us called me to have us come pick them up. Otherwise they would have been delivered on Monday.

Typically the postal service really hustles the chick orders through and they're often treated as Express Mail, meaning they frequently arrive the next day. I'm setting up the brooder today as I expect the chicks will arrive tomorrow. It's possible that it won't be until Wednesday for ours, but I'd rather be ready.

Yes, I had chicks shipped from McMurray last year. They shipped on a Saturday and arrived on Sunday. The sorting facility 30 minutes north of us called me to have us come pick them up. Otherwise they would have been delivered on Monday.

Typically the postal service really hustles the chick orders through and they're often treated as Express Mail, meaning they frequently arrive the next day. I'm setting up the brooder today as I expect the chicks will arrive tomorrow. It's possible that it won't be until Wednesday for ours, but I'd rather be ready.

Oh, I'm ready!! Brooder, EcoGlo, water, food.... everything is ready. I plan to be at the post office at 6:30am the day they arrive so I can take them right home when I get the call. Thank you for the calming words!! I'm so anxious for the little chickies!!

Oh, I'm ready!! Brooder, EcoGlo, water, food.... everything is ready. I plan to be at the post office at 6:30am the day they arrive so I can take them right home when I get the call. Thank you for the calming words!! I'm so anxious for the little chickies!!
You're welcome! Are these your first chicks?

You're welcome! Are these your first chicks?

Yup! First chicks!! 2 Ameraucanas, 2 BOs, 1 Jersey Giant, 1 SL Wyandotte, and 9 Cornish X to meet the 15 chick minimum. I'm a first-time chickie Mama (hence my over-nervous tendencies!). My handy, crafty, retired dad helped me build brooders; my very patient BF has been fairly understanding and supportive; the 2 dogs and 2 cats have no idea, but I'm sure will be VERY intrigued. Wednesday can't get here soon enough!

Yup! First chicks!! 2 Ameraucanas, 2 BOs, 1 Jersey Giant, 1 SL Wyandotte, and 9 Cornish X to meet the 15 chick minimum. I'm a first-time chickie Mama (hence my over-nervous tendencies!). My handy, crafty, retired dad helped me build brooders; my very patient BF has been fairly understanding and supportive; the 2 dogs and 2 cats have no idea, but I'm sure will be VERY intrigued. Wednesday can't get here soon enough!
Good choices! It's so fun getting new chicks but also sort of scary. I've had chickens for a long time and still get nervous and watch the weather forecasts for shipments. I about had a heart attack the day there was snow forecast in the part of Ohio that Meyer is in.

I have some CX pullets coming from Meyer that I'll have my broody hen foster. If I can keep the CX going long enough to lay then I'll be crossing them with my Langshan cock for some big, but slower growing, meaties.

Good choices! It's so fun getting new chicks but also sort of scary. I've had chickens for a long time and still get nervous and watch the weather forecasts for shipments. I about had a heart attack the day there was snow forecast in the part of Ohio that Meyer is in.

I have some CX pullets coming from Meyer that I'll have my broody hen foster. If I can keep the CX going long enough to lay then I'll be crossing them with my Langshan cock for some big, but slower growing, meaties.

How fun!! I'm looking forward to continuing this excellent experiment (like you are) will into the future. These CXs I'm going to butcher in May. My job requires me to be away from home a few days a week, and I think 6 layers will be manageable. I am really looking forward to cooking up the first meaty!! I think that's when my BF's attitude changed, when he realized we're going to have chicken in the freezer on a regular basis... We hunt and fish for most of our meat (all except chicken and pork....mmm, bacon). He's decided it's pretty cool I want to grow our own meat birds! The excitement is tangible right now... told my bosses I'm going to be taking Wednesday morning off to welcome the peepers. And I'm sure they are ready for the dang things to get here already so maybe I'll quit talking about them all the time (or not
big_smile.png
)!

Back
Top Bottom