Anyone impatiently waiting for your baby chicks to arrive?!?!

Hey guys! I guess I am a victim of what you guys call chicken math! I started two chicks they are a week old now! Is it possible to add another chick at this stage. Of course the newbie would be from one of our local feed stores so less than a week old?

Hey guys! I guess I am a victim of what you guys call chicken math! I started two chicks they are a week old now! Is it possible to add another chick at this stage. Of course the newbie would be from one of our local feed stores so less than a week old?
I am not an expert, but this has been asked a lot lately. From what has been posted its ok to add new chicks at two weeks apart, however it seems three weeks apart does not work well. Of course you will have to watch them just to make sure everything goes well, to be on the safe side.

I am not an expert, but this has been asked a lot lately. From what has been posted its ok to add new chicks at two weeks apart, however it seems three weeks apart does not work well. Of course you will have to watch them just toS. make sure everything goes well, to be on the safe side. 
yes seems very scary!

How fun!! I'm looking forward to continuing this excellent experiment (like you are) will into the future. These CXs I'm going to butcher in May. My job requires me to be away from home a few days a week, and I think 6 layers will be manageable. I am really looking forward to cooking up the first meaty!! I think that's when my BF's attitude changed, when he realized we're going to have chicken in the freezer on a regular basis... We hunt and fish for most of our meat (all except chicken and pork....mmm, bacon). He's decided it's pretty cool I want to grow our own meat birds! The excitement is tangible right now... told my bosses I'm going to be taking Wednesday morning off to welcome the peepers. And I'm sure they are ready for the dang things to get here already so maybe I'll quit talking about them all the time (or not
big_smile.png
)!
I've considered bringing in more CX to feed us and the extended family, but right now I'm focusing more on breeding and eating (most) of the culls. We have barnyard mix chicks running around right now with more in the incubator for an early April hatch.

Six chickens is a very manageable amount and perfect for getting your feet wet (or should I say pecked?). It's time to start researching recipes that use a lot of eggs! I like to make lots of challah bread (4 or so eggs) and then turn a loaf of that into baked french toast (8 eggs). We also keep 8 other families supplied with free eggs.

You'll never stop talking about the chickens!

It should be perfectly fine. We recently gave chicks that were a few days old to a broody hen with 1 week old chicks.

I am expecting 25 "choice layers" from Murray McMurray the week of 3/23/15!!!! I can't wait!!! On the website under availability it said 3/23 but does anyone know if that is the day they are hatching or the day they are being shipped???? Thanks, brotchicks
1f60a.png
1f60a.png

I am expecting 25 "choice layers" from Murray McMurray the week of 3/23/15!!!! I can't wait!!! On the website under availability it said 3/23 but does anyone know if that is the day they are hatching or the day they are being shipped???? Thanks, brotchicks
1f60a.png
1f60a.png

I would assume that it is the day they are being shipped, but usually they get shipped the same day they hatch.

@Bloveschickens That is what I thought but then I read that they need to be a day old to sex them, and since we ordered layers (which need to be hens) I am assuming they need to wait? Do you know any details?

I am very impatiently waiting for my 8 chicks to arrive in May from My Pet Chicken. So impatiently, in fact, that I decided to try incubating my current flock's eggs AND order hatching eggs! LOL This has been the longest 21 days of my life & I'm including the 1st 21 days I was bedridden/in a wheelchair after my car accident. I'm terrible at waiting. :D

The MPC chicks are:
Australorp - 1
Easter Egger - 3
Easter Egger Bantam - 1
White Crested Blue Polish -1
Blue Laced Red Wyandotte - 1
Blue Orpington - 1

My flock's eggs are Silver Sebright x Golden Laced Polish and should be hatching around Sunday (if everything goes okay). The other batch of hatching eggs are Phoenix bantams and should go in the incubator just as soon as the others hatch!

Chicken Math hit me pretty hard and fast.

Ideal hatchery shipping may 5th
8 assorted rare Leghorn hens
3 Black Australorps hens
1 BlackAaustralorp roo

I will be adding these to hopefully my successful hatch that will be on May 7th of hatching eggs ordered of BCM's and Black Java's and hopefully Midget white turkeys if they are laying.

Then June 16th from Meyer Hatchery
2 Buff Orphington hens
2 Olive Eggers hen
2 New Hampshire Red hens
2 Golden Buff hen
1 BCM male
1 Easter Egger male
2 Easter Egger hens
5 Adopt ME bargin - straight run
1 Meal Maker ?

I can't wait
wee.gif
We are working on building a second coop. Hubby not as excited about that but he didn't say no.
big_smile.png

Not to mention I'm participating in the Easter HAL!

Back
Top Bottom