Anyone impatiently waiting for your baby chicks to arrive?!?!

th.gif
My babies already got extended two week later, now its another two days because one of the breeds only hatches on Wednesday.

Our chicks from MMM arrived this afternoon! We are so excited to finally have them here. They are all perfectly healthy and alert. No pasty butt or any other issues that I've seen. Now the fun begins!

Our babies are a week old today. All twelve are hale and hardy and proudly sprouting tiny wing feathers. The only emergency was from one psychotic little Welsummer hen who couldn't figure out what those itchy uncomfortable little things were that were poking out of her wings so she tried to pull them out and spent an hour dragging herself around the brooder by her wing tip bleeding all over the place. Got her isolated. Got the bleeding stopped. Convinced her that she was just trying to become a big chicken. (Actually just greased her wing up with a combination of vasoline and triple antibiotic ointment and left her alone to pout. 24 hours later and a couple of spot baths with baby shampoo to ungoop her wing and she was reunited with her flockmates) I still don't think she has figured out what her pinfeathers are but no more bloodletting so that crisis is over and they all celebrated their first week birthday by tearing into a slice of whole wheat bread.

At least I can tell Bo from the other 4 Welsummer chicks. She's the one with the droopy left wing.

Hope y'all are enjoying your chicks...if you are still waiting...you just wait. It's like having new babies in the house. Only these babies scratch in their bedding and peep.

Our barred rocks are two weeks old now! And our little buffs are less than a week! They love their new brooder... The barreds roosting up top.. And the bitties foraging at the bottom.

Love watching everyone enjoying their chicks!!!! We may add two more before pecking order is established!!! This is too much fun!!!!!

Our barred rocks are two weeks old now! And our little buffs are less than a week! They love their new brooder... The barreds roosting up top.. And the bitties foraging at the bottom.

Love watching everyone enjoying their chicks!!!! We may add two more before pecking order is established!!! This is too much fun!!!!!
love.gif

So cute! My bantam orps will probably be shipping on Tuesday!

I have wanted chicken for years now and this one my hubby finally agreed it's a good idea. The idea was born because we have a nice enclosed side yard that get very little use (it’s all shade and on the lower side of the house). But after really looking into the logistics of it we realized that while the side yard may be a good place to have a run, having the coop there is too close to the road and neighbors. So that will be the run during the day and then they will have the coop closer to the house with another run. We are raising them for eggs and compost.

We got 5 New Hampshire Reds coming in from Purely Poultry, they are set to be mailed April 8th , which is the worse week for them to be shipped as I have a payroll conversion that week and that weekend I have a full day gardening seminar and my daughters baby shower! But it will all work out, probably a good thing as they will have a few days to settle in before I pick them up all the time J

I am so very eggcited!!!
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom