Anyone impatiently waiting for your baby chicks to arrive?!?!

I am! I ordered 25 chicks from McMurray Hatchery. Oh! and one exotic breed chick! :weee

4 Pearl White Leghorn pullets
1 Pearl White Leghorn Cockerel
9 Buff Orpington pullets
1 Buff Orpington cockerel
9 White Rock pullets
1 Dark Cornish cockerel
1 Exotic rare chick

After ordering I realized, they're all gonna look yellow as chicks! =D Well, except the dark cornish cockerel and the exotic one I guess...

If they all survive,
I'm planning on breeding my own version of meat chickens using the white rocks and dark cornish roo. I know, they're not gonna be as big, or even close to commercial birds, but I just wanted to have some fun with that. Buff orpingtons are also meant to be for meat, but that would be the next generation. Leg horns are for eggs. =)

Soooo, that's my plan! What's yours? and when are you going to buy more chicks? How many? from where? what breeds? why? =D

I'm waiting for 15 from mcmurray and also ordered a buff orpington cockerel And 2 BO females hoping they'll go broody and lay me some babies!
1f604.png
1f604.png

I caved and committed to buy a young Welsummer rooster as soon as our four 8 little girls are old enough to be outside. We have two little Buff O Roosters and 6 Buff O hens that are a week to 9 days old right now but I have really fallen for the 4 little Welsummer girls we have. Such characters.
I keep reading where Wels are standoffish and skittish but I haven't found that in ours. They are funny, inquisitive and sweet little birds and when the breeder I bought them from said she had young males, I couldn't resist.

So now I'm waiting for my chicks to become chickens so I can add one more to the bunch and have a baker's dozen.

I sure would be interested in seeing what that little Americauna looks like when she grows up,BurkeyFarm.

@Bloveschickens your chicks are so cute! Mine are shipping tomorrow, how long does it usually take for them to arrive? They are coming from Louisiana to California.

@Bloveschickens your chicks are so cute! Mine are shipping tomorrow, how long does it usually take for them to arrive? They are coming from Louisiana to California.
Last year mine were shipped on a Monday and arrived on a Wednesday , this year I picked up chicks from my local feed store.

Chicks ordered for 2015

Ideal 4 /15 dly all pullets 24
3 salmon faverolles
5 asst brahmas
3 feather legged cuckoo marans
3 white Jersey giants
10 cream brabanters

Mcmurray 5 3/5 6 dly all pullets 25
6 crevecours
6 naked necks
9 mottled houdan
4 dark cornish

Sandhill 4/5 dly - straight run 25
5 cream brabanters
6 blue jersey giant
6 blue langshan
8 assorted asian (feather foot) (cochin/langshan)

15 Ancona ducklings - straight run
May delivery

Coastline Poultry - straight run - April 7 dly
15 assorted ameraucana
9 mystery chicks

Hoping for a call from the post office in the morning! Warming up brooder so it is ready. My question is, at its warmest spot it is 105 degrees. But there is plenty of room to get away from the heat. On yhe far side it is 65 degrees. Is that temperature range to wide? Too hot? Too cold? I expect 15 biddies in the morning. Any advice is appreciated.

My chicks shipped yesterday from Meyer and are somewhere enroute from Cleveland (according to the latest tracking update from 9 pm last night).......says delivery for tomorrow, hoping for the best. Really was hoping to get them under the heat today.

Back
Top Bottom