Anyone impatiently waiting for your baby chicks to arrive?!?!

We ordered 6 pullets from a local 4-H group back in February and we're finally going to get to pick them up Saturday. The pullets will be 5 weeks old and should be ready for the coop. We're getting 2 Red Stars, 2 Barred Rocks and 2 Ester Eggers. I've spent the last month building the coop and now its done and I'm about to come out of my skin. Every day I ask my girls (6 & 9) if they are excited to get the chickens and they say yes but not as much as Daddy!

Paul

That is so terrible. Usually it is one or two that get attacked. But 21? That is so heartbreaking. I hope you are able to get more. It won't replace the others but it may help you feel better. When you catch those coyotes , make them into a stew and feed them to the chickens. Or if your state gives you a bounty on them then use that to buy more chicks.
you know, that is a great idea! I once shot a possum that ate 3 of my broilers in the face close range with a shot gun. Stew just sounds like a perfect idea, I'm really that angry...

We ordered 6 pullets from a local 4-H group back in February and we're finally going to get to pick them up Saturday. The pullets will be 5 weeks old and should be ready for the coop. We're getting 2 Red Stars, 2 Barred Rocks and 2 Ester Eggers. I've spent the last month building the coop and now its done and I'm about to come out of my skin. Every day I ask my girls (6 & 9) if they are excited to get the chickens and they say yes but not as much as Daddy!

Paul
I hear ya! lol but I bet when they see the baby chicks they will want to play with them =P

21 chicks from my order of 27 were eaten by a pack of coyotes last night. I'm so very sad right now I can't take it. My beautiful chickens! Have 6 terrified babies left and they are now in the big girl coop. ='(

Oh my, that is SO SAD!!!!! :hit So sorry for your little biddies.

Finally got my chicks last night. So ****** at my mother and the people she was driving for taking so **** long to pick them up (almost didn't make it before closing) and to get home (took them three hours when it should have only been one and a half from where they were). If they started going downhill at some point on the way home they couldn't have done anything to help them. If I were with them, I wouldn't have cared as much because I could, but I had to work.

Now waiting for duck to hatch and then chicks on the 1st.

Finally got my chicks last night. So ****** at my mother and the people she was driving for taking so **** long to pick them up (almost didn't make it before closing) and to get home (took them three hours when it should have only been one and a half from where they were). If they started going downhill at some point on the way home they couldn't have done anything to help them. If I were with them, I wouldn't have cared as much because I could, but I had to work.

I'm sure you are only thinking of the cute little biddies and their welfare, which is good as they are helpless little fluffballs
1f423.png
. It's nice that you care so much for your pets. However, if your mom loves you enough to drive that far to pick up chicks for you, I would hope you you express your thanks for her taking the time to help you out. I'm sure if the drive time was double then she was just as frustrated as you. I know no one would ever intentionally spend a minute on the road longer then necessary. The fact that she endured double the drive time deserves a big hug and a thank you. Have fun snuggling with your chicks, and give your mom a kiss.

I'm sure you are only thinking of the cute little biddies and their welfare, which is good as they are helpless little fluffballs
1f423.png
. It's nice that you care so much for your pets. However, if your mom loves you enough to drive that far to pick up chicks for you, I would hope you you express your thanks for her taking the time to help you out. I'm sure if the drive time was double then she was just as frustrated as you. I know no one would ever intentionally spend a minute on the road longer then necessary. The fact that she endured double the drive time deserves a big hug and a thank you. Have fun snuggling with your chicks, and give your mom a kiss.

She didn't drive out there for my chicks. She drives community transportation for the old folks. My chicks were just on the way. They were supposed to be in the day before when I went to town myself. She really wasn't going to bother, because she doesn't care about any of them.

I guess you could say that I am waiting on chicks.
D.gif
Finally feel like we are ready for them, but I don't have an order in so I keep obsessively checking meyer's available now. If they have what we want (three chicks total, but pretty open on breeds as long as they are friendly, LF, cold hardy, and decent layers, though my daughter wants either a BR or a BO). If they have what we want I will drive there mon and get them. Can't figure out how I want the brooder but I think I am over thinking it. Right now I have a medium dog crate in the laundry room with a heat lamp over one side.

Last edited:
I guess you could say that I am waiting on chicks.
D.gif
Finally feel like we are ready for them, but I don't have an order in so I keep obsessively checking meyer's available now. If they have what we want (three chicks total, but pretty open on breeds as long as they are friendly, LF, cold hardy, and decent layers, though my daughter wants either a BR or a BO). If they have what we want I will drive there mon and get them. Can't figure out how I want the brooder but I think I am over thinking it. Right now I have a medium dog crate in the laundry room with a heat lamp over one side.

Given the choices of BR or BO I would go with a BO any day. Mine are mellow and sweet. Not an aggressive one in the lot. Giant cardboard boxes work well as brooders too. For friendly I think my Delaware is by far the friendliest followed by the Speckled Sussex.

Back
Top Bottom