Anyone impatiently waiting for your baby chicks to arrive?!?!

Given the choices of BR or BO I would go with a BO any day. Mine are mellow and sweet. Not an aggressive one in the lot. Giant cardboard boxes work well as brooders too. For friendly I think my Delaware is by far the friendliest followed by the Speckled Sussex.

Might get both if they have them available mon. One of each plus an EE would be great. A cardboard box isn't cat proof unless it's in the dog crate. ;)

So true about needing cat proof. I tend to forget that not everyone has a place they can put chicks and close the other critters out of.
wink.png

My hubby is very glad we live no where near a hatchery lol. I would be there way to much.

Two days ago, ordered ten golden and silver wyandottes. All unsexed, from bergs hatchery through my local feed store, they won't be hatching for two months, it's only been the two days and I a. Being driven crazy! And I'm sure that everyone around me is being driven mad by me! LOL! :D

So true about needing cat proof. I tend to forget that not everyone has a place they can put chicks and close the other critters out of.
wink.png

My hubby is very glad we live no where near a hatchery lol. I would be there way to much.
I have my babies on the floor in a low-sided box (tall enough they can't hop out). Have 3 cats and 3 dogs and not a single one bothers the babies.

Anira,

You are truly lucky. My dogs would love nothing more than a squeaky chick to play with.
I had them in my office until I could not take the dust any longer. I do have a large brooder in my coop and they are there now. The dogs sat at the door to my office just waiting for a chance to get in.

wink.png

I will probably put them in the laundry room but I have a toddler who knows how to open doors so she could let the cats in (or herself) easily. I figure as many layers as possible is good. The only other rooms with doors are bathrooms (too small, except maybe the master) or the bedrooms and I don't really want them in the bedrooms.

I think I live the perfect distance from a hatchery. Close enough to get chicks, but far enough that I can't just stop in on a whim. :D

Anira,

You are truly lucky. My dogs would love nothing more than a squeaky chick to play with.
I had them in my office until I could not take the dust any longer. I do have a large brooder in my coop and they are there now. The dogs sat at the door to my office just waiting for a chance to get in.

Very lucky! Two of my cats are excellent hunters. They bring me moles, mice, and birds daily. They had really bad cabin fever and were attacking everything this winter when they were stuck inside. They also are only allowed outside because they know how to open the screens and I got tired of the holes and the flies. My third cat is older and used to be a good mouser, I think she would definitely be interested in a box of easy prey though. Especially with the warm spot to sleep in after. Really with her the best case senerio is her taking over the nice warm box and spilling the food/water.

The animals have grown up around other baby animals, so they understand these are off limits. My male cat brings me mice and birds when I let him outside, but he understands the difference between them and the babies here at home.

Duckling hatched while I was working for an hour.

My male cat brings me mice and birds when I let him outside, but he understands the difference between them and the babies here at home.

I had a male cat who was a great mouser- wild mice that is.

But when a hamster would get out, he would gently pick it up and bring it to me unharmed.

One time my rabbits got out of their cages in the back yard (I think neighbor's kids), and this wonderful cat came running to get me, then led me to the back yard where the rabbits were hopping every where. He then herded them into a corner and held them there while I picked them up. It took me several trips carrying armloads of rabbits to get them back into their cages, but my cat kept them in the corner until I had them all.

First time ordering chicks here! They are due to ship on the 25th of May from McMurray hatchery! I have 9 salmon faverolles, 4. Turkens, and two lehhorns on order. My vert put in two Easter eggers and two buff orpingtons in on the order as well. :) so exciting! The wait is so hard! I bought one of those roll out brooders and put plastic on the floor... Do you guys think the reptile eco earth would be a good bedding for them since it is very absorbent and like dirt?

Love this pic and caption!

The animals have grown up around other baby animals, so they understand these are off limits. My male cat brings me mice and birds when I let him outside, but he understands the difference between them and the babies here at home.

Duckling hatched while I was working for an hour.

But when a hamster would get out, he would gently pick it up and bring it to me unharmed.

One time my rabbits got out of their cages in the back yard (I think neighbor's kids), and this wonderful cat came running to get me, then led me to the back yard where the rabbits were hopping every where. He then herded them into a corner and held them there while I picked them up. It took me several trips carrying armloads of rabbits to get them back into their cages, but my cat kept them in the corner until I had them all.

I love your cat stories. Sweet. But, cats do have a hunting instinct that may one day take over their sweeter nature. I once had a cat who I was convinced knew the difference between outside prey and inside pets. He was often in the living room when I let my parakeet out to fly around. One day, he jumped up and snagged the bird out of the air. Before I could even react, he'd broken the bird's neck. Hope your cats remain docile around your "prey animals", but, beware!

Back
Top Bottom