Anyone impatiently waiting for your baby chicks to arrive?!?!

We are anxiously awaiting our first ever shipment of 22 baby chicks from Murray McMurray Hatchery that should be here on Easter (fingers crossed)! I'm hoping all of them make the trip alive and well. We ordered all heavies with the one rare exotic: 7 Black Australorps, 7 Buff Orpingtons, 7 Light Brahmas and one mystery chick. It hasn't been as cold here lately and my hopes are that they can huddle together and create enough warmth until I can high tail it down to the post office to pick them up. We have had the barn and brooder set up since February and I've been out there tinkering with things every day since. I can't wait!!!

My shipment got moved up to April 15th, almost a month earlier.
ya.gif

I would think aspen shavings would be okay - or anyways that was what I was always told for my guinea pigs
smile.png
The thing you want to avoid is cedar chips.

So you guys only cover the chips for a couple days? Would puppy pads work as cover?
Yes puppy pads would work perfectly. I always use paper towels for the first week and a half and then switch to pine shavings, my chicks are ready to make the switch from paper towels to shavings today, they are growing so quickly.

Yes puppy pads would work perfectly. I always use paper towels for the first week and a half and then switch to pine shavings, my chicks are ready to make the switch from paper towels to shavings today, they are growing so quickly.
I've been seeing pictures and videos of some peoples chicks week by week...it is amazing how fast they grow!!

i got my chicks in feb. they are all outside sleeping in our shed at night, i got them from murray mcmurray hatchery, i ordered 12, and all 12 made it out alive! i am so happy with their service, i am totally ordering from them again!
celebrate.gif

Back
Top Bottom