Anyone impatiently waiting for your baby chicks to arrive?!?!

One brooder at a time, letting them outside in a pen to sun and dust bathe. So far only the turkeys have figured out the dust bath lolol everyone else does it in the grass

Getting our 2 Rhode island reds and 2 silver-laced wyndottes chicks in 2 weeks. Hope I'm ready for our new adventure.
questions: what is the best bedding to use and how often do I change it?
What is best heat source for chicks?
You might want to check out the Mama heating pad thread, it's is a lot better than having them under lights 24\7.

Getting our 2 Rhode island reds and 2 silver-laced wyndottes chicks in 2 weeks. Hope I'm ready for our new adventure.
questions: what is the best bedding to use and how often do I change it?
What is best heat source for chicks?

Pine or aspen shavings work good. Avoid cedar. Some folks like the pine pellets but i couldn't find them. Cleaning depends on the number of chicks and the size of your brooder. Maybe every 2 to 7 days. I'm a big fan of the sweeter heater!

you have two of the same pic uploaded there
tongue.png
Yeah I know, I'm a dork

I just lost my whole flock. All but 1 adult hen and 4 youngins. 33 total birds including my beautiful drake and largest hen of my Pekin ducks. I'm so lost and upset it's not even funny.

I'm numb at this point. This so sucks, trying now to price replacements. My 8yo Black Australorpe and a spazzy white and buff orphington cross are the only adults to survive and I'm not sure the older one will make it. I have 6 juvie chicks left, 2 injured pretty badly. We have them in small secure pens and are treating as best we can.

Back
Top Bottom