Anyone impatiently waiting for your baby chicks to arrive?!?!

I'm numb at this point. This so sucks, trying now to price replacements. My 8yo Black Australorpe and a spazzy white and buff orphington cross are the only adults to survive and I'm not sure the older one will make it. I have 6 juvie chicks left, 2 injured pretty badly. We have them in small secure pens and are treating as best we can.

We totally understand what you're going thru, nothing we can say will change that, but we're still terribly sorry to read that, it sucks...We came home one day to a yard of feathers and carcasses strewn all over yard and worse, it was our own dogs that did it...It took almost a year to recover the flock back to same numbers and unfreak out the survivors, who still do not like their new guard dog, and we don't blame them...

My babies are arriving next week after four long months of waiting. Four EE hens and one roo to keep those girls coming, and six Sussex for laying and supper. (If we can bring ourselves to do that dastardly deed). First chickens ever and beside myself with excitement! Will be asking for advice in the future, I'm sure!

We are awaiting the arrival of our 7 baby chickies! We ordered:

1 Buff Chantecler
1 Barred Rock
2 Speckled Sussex
1 Rhode Island Red
1 GLW
1 Black Austrolorp

Anxiously awaiting May 28th, the delivery day!

On a good note, we had the state come in and test the now remaining birds, a bunch of teenaged chicks that we hatched from our now dead flocks eggs. We passed and are now certified disease free.

The day has finally arrived! Most of my chicks came in today. I ended up with 5 barred rocks, 5 Buff O., 3 RIR, 3 red stars, 5 black stars, and 3 black austrolorps. Thank you perilloux5 for suggesting the mama heating pad thread. After reading it, I totally changed my brooder set up. After a few moments all chicks were eating and drinking. I started them out on the vertical waterers - so glad I have. There will be no drowning chicks or having to teach them to drink twice. They did it naturally by wanting to peck at the shiny objects :) After everyone finished with dinner, I put them in my Mama Heating Pad cave, most took an immediate nap. A few little rebels wanted to get back for seconds. Overall, I'm very happy about today's events.

My babies are arriving next week after four long months of waiting. Four EE hens and one roo to keep those girls coming, and six Sussex for laying and supper. (If we can bring ourselves to do that dastardly deed). First chickens ever and beside myself with excitement! Will be asking for advice in the future, I'm sure!
Welcome! They are so much fun. Mine will be coming next weekend. Second time with chicks for us but just as excite :)
Ask as many questions as needed. Everyone here on BYC is so helpful. Post pics when you get the babies.

We are awaiting the arrival of our 7 baby chickies! We ordered:

1 Buff Chantecler
1 Barred Rock
2 Speckled Sussex
1 Rhode Island Red
1 GLW
1 Black Austrolorp

Anxiously awaiting May 28th, the delivery day!
Nice mix. I've got 2 barred rock, 2 speckled sussex and 2 easter eggers coming next weekend!

The day has finally arrived! Most of my chicks came in today. I ended up with 5 barred rocks, 5 Buff O., 3 RIR, 3 red stars, 5 black stars, and 3 black austrolorps. Thank you perilloux5 for suggesting the mama heating pad thread. After reading it, I totally changed my brooder set up. After a few moments all chicks were eating and drinking. I started them out on the vertical waterers - so glad I have. There will be no drowning chicks or having to teach them to drink twice. They did it naturally by wanting to peck at the shiny objects :) After everyone finished with dinner, I put them in my Mama Heating Pad cave, most took an immediate nap. A few little rebels wanted to get back for seconds. Overall, I'm very happy about today's events.

I just got done reading the same mamma heating pad thread! I'm seriously considering doing it that way too. Are you still liking it? Any problems?

Day 3 with my chicks and all are still doing great. My Barred Rock Roo seems to be experiencing a little bit of pasty bottom. Tomorrow I think I will put a little ACV in the water. Concerning the heating pad, I love it! The only problem I'm experiencing, if you want to call it a problem, is at night I'm still putting them inside the "cave". They are not going inside on their own at night. Once they are there, they're content. Throughout the day they come and go as they please inside the cave. I'm just not certain they figured out that's where they are supposed to spend the night. Mine probably isn't warm enough. I've got the smaller size heating pad and many babies (larger size ordered). I'm hoping they will learn the routine of going to bed. Everything else has been very good.

Day 3 with my chicks and all are still doing great.  My Barred Rock Roo seems to be experiencing a little bit of pasty bottom.  Tomorrow I think I will put a little ACV in the water.  Concerning the heating pad, I love it!  The only problem I'm experiencing, if you want to call it a problem, is at night I'm still putting them inside the "cave".  They are not going inside on their own at night.  Once they are there, they're content.  Throughout the day they come and go as they please inside the cave.  I'm just not certain they figured out that's where they are supposed to spend the night.  Mine probably isn't warm enough.  I've got the smaller size heating pad and many babies (larger size ordered).  I'm hoping they will learn the routine of going to bed.  Everything else has been very good. 
I had the same problem, but they went in by themselves around day 6.:ya

Back
Top Bottom