anyone in England ?

Pics
Hi guys -
Based up in Tyne & Wear and only started keeping chickens in May this year (we have three in our back garden). They are in an enclosed coop/run and we let them out for a few hours after work each night.
I have been leaving the pop hole open to let the girls come and go as they please - question is should I now start closing it with the nights getting cooler??

Hi Toddyboy
I always leave my pop hole open whatever the weather. The chickens seem to prefer being out in their covered run as soon as they wake up even in bad weather and put themselves to bed when the light fades. I think they need to eat and drink as soon as they wake.

Hi Toddyboy
I always leave my pop hole open whatever the weather. The chickens seem to prefer being out in their covered run as soon as they wake up even in bad weather and put themselves to bed when the light fades. I think they need to eat and drink as soon as they wake.

Thanks for the advice. Do you do anything to the run to give it mor protection in the winter? Was thinking of a bit of tarpaulin over the mesh bits. Here's a pic of my coop/run

Hi does anyone have any advice on spotting coccidiosis early I had a hen die tonight was fine yesterday running around and away from me to finding her first lite all fluffed up and looking sad. Brought her in and my partner was treating her all day she seemed to pick up eat a bit but went down hill all of a sudden. I have had the hen in my flock for 14 months all of the others are now being treated. Only ever had this before when I first introduced my hens to a friend of mines older ones i was given when I first had chickens.

I don't do anything extra to the run but it is in quite a sheltered position in front of the garage wall. The chickens also have access to an unheated polyhouse where their dustbath lives but i haven't noticed them using it for shelter so far. Here's my set up.

Hi! I'm from Poole in Dorset! I have a flock of 4 pekins and 2 Polands. Loving having them! Most are looking like they are male so we will have to find new homes for them and find a couple more hens!

Back
Top Bottom