Anyone in Ireland?

If you have a car you can drive through Killarney National Park and go and visit Kenmare which is a great little town, I live about an hour from there so visit it quite often though I'm located in the Cork Kerry mountains , there is loads to look at in this area and the scenery is some of the best in the country. The sea food is also great and I recommend that the Seafood chowder and a good Irish Stew to all my visitors as food to try whilst they travel around as well as the Irish coffee if they like that kinda drink. I'm sure you'll have a great vacation where ever you go here.

I will write this all down & take it with me when I travel. I will let everyone know to try the Irish coffee but I will have to refrain as coffee gives me migraines. But the seafood chowder & stew sounds delicious. I know Blarney Woolen mills is a chain of places to shop at but I am looking for places to shop like markets.. Any suggestions?

OMG there are other people from Ireland here! I'm living in Kilkenny and definately worth a visit
wee.gif

Up the Cats! Cill Chainnigh abú!

Clothes same as anywhere else i guess most teenagers where tracksuits but that varies. google it theyll giveu a better discription.i am irish live in ireland allways have lived in ireland and this is what i eat usually a dinner of spuds some sort of meat e.g lamb beef etc and vegtables e.g brocolie,cabbage etc. i usually drink a nice cup of tea with my dinner i eat fast food to burgers pizza etc sometimes.weather is raining most of the time not hot except this year was an extremlty hot year extremly hot 30 degrease celciouse for most of da summer hardly any rain but where making up for it now storm after storm and its raining as im writing this loads of people farm lots of people have other jobs aswell betiful senery if the country side da west is da best green green green spuds spuds spuds spuds ireland istint just about spuds drink and green alldo we do all of those things we do everthing else aswell :) ohh and we drink aswell :) lk anywhere else

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL! Typical day in Ireland
gig.gif

Dia dhuit! Not actually IN Ireland, but we're IA, not in a bad way, if that counts? My young daughter and I were over last year, BC (before chickens) and I'll be back in October to visit friends in Wexford Town, Sheestown, Westport and of course, Dublin (Airport anyway). She and I "only" have the six birds- 5 EE girls she picked out from the farm store and Stormageddeon, the lone bantam D'uccle roo. I'm painfully new here at BYC but just wanted to say hello!

Sláinte!

Dana

Hi All in Ireland and your Peeps,

Me here..... just wanted to let you know of a charity that rescues animals in Ireland and they occasionally rescue ex battery hens. The lads and ladies work very hard to collect thousands of hens that would otherwise be culled, advertise and forward transport the girls to collection points all over the country. I have only just recently come across them and they can be found at this page... http://littlehillanimalrescue.ie/ and they are on Facebook too (https://www.facebook.com/littlehillanimalrescue/). If you are interested in increasing your flock I think they charged 5 Euro per chicken on the last run. You will need to contact them to book your chickens. Some of the girls are a little worse for wear from the outset (missing feathers etc from being intensely farmed) and many are not used to being outside. It seems they soon get used to doing normal chicken things and regrow their plumage and it looks as though many go on to make loving pets and can lay for years after.

I doubt if they'd have any fancy breeds. I'm in no way connected with them at all, but have had contact with one lady when I was trying to track down a vet that would treat one of my girls. They were very helpful.

Anyway, just thought I'd let you know.
Denise
(& Ruby & Gromit)

Does anyone here show chickens in Ireland? I am wondering if there is a book or something with the breed standards for Irish shows, like the APA has here in the U.S. Just thinking ahead for my big move in 2018.
smile.png
I'm really looking forward to moving & finally being able to breed my own chickens.

Hi honora
I breed and show chickens here in Ireland
There is a poultry standards but there different
To USA.
In Ireland we have the British poultry standards
As we share the same standards with Britain
There is a book but it does cost a lot.
Here's the standard for a silkie

THE SILKIE STANDARD

Classification: Light Breed

Egg Colour: Tinted to cream

Large Fowl

Origin: Asia
Authorities have mentioned Silkie fowl for several hundred years. Some think that they originated in India, whilst others favour China and Japan. The Silkie is regarded as a light breed, and as such it must be exhibited. Its persistent broodiness is a breed characteristic, and either pure or crossed, the breed provides reliable broodies
for the eggs of large fowl or bantams

WEIGHTS

LARGE FOWL: Male 1.8 1kg (4lbs) Female 1.36kg (3lbs)

BANTAM SILKIES: Male 600g (22ozs) Female 500g (l8ozs)

GENERAL CHARACTERISTICS OF THE MALE:

Carriage:
Stylish, compact and lively

Type:
Body broad and stout looking. Back short, saddle silky and rising to the tail. Stern broad and abundantly covered with fine fluff, saddle hackles soft, abundant and flowing. Breast broad and full, shoulders stout, square, and fairly covered with neck hackle. Wings soft and fluffy at the shoulders, with the ends of the flights ragged and ‘Osprey plumage; (i.e. some strands of the flights hang loosely downwards). Tail short and very ragged at the end of the harder feathers of the tail proper. It should not be flowing, but forming a short round curve.

Head:
Short and neat, with good crest, soft and full, and as upright as the comb will permit, and having a six to twelve soft silky feathers streaming gracefully backwards from the lower back part of the crest to a length of 3.75cm (1½ ins). The crest proper should not show any hardness of feather. A short beak, that is broad at the base. Eyes brilliant black, and not too prominent. Comb almost circular in shape, preferably broader than long, with a number of small prominences over it, and having a slight indentation or furrow transversely across the middle. Face smooth. Wattles concave, nearly semi-circular, and not long or pendant.
Ear lobes more oval than round. Neck short or medium length, broad and full at the base, with the hackles abundant and flowing.

Legs and feet:
Free from scaliness. Thighs wide apart and legs short. No hard feather on the hocks, but a profusion of soft silky plumage is permissible. Thighs covered with abundant fluff. The feathers on the legs should be moderate in quantity. Toes five in number, with the fifth toe diverging from the fourth. The middle and the outer toes feathered, but these feathers should not be too hard.

Plumage: Very silky and fluffy, with a profusion of hair like feathers

GENERAL CHARACTERISTICS OF THE FEMALE
Carriage: Stylish, squat, fluffy and compact

The saddle is broad and well cushioned, with the silkiest of plumage, which should nearly smother the small tail, the ragged ends alone protruding and inclined to be ‘Cochiny’ in appearance. The legs are particularly short in the female, and the under and thigh fluff should nearly meet the ground. The head crest is short and neat, like a powder puff, with no hard feathers, and the eye should not be hidden by the crest, which should stand up and out, not split be the comb. Ear lobes small and oval. Wattles either absent, or very small and oval in shape. Comb small. Other characteristics are as in the male, allowing for sexual differences.

SHOW STANDARDS

REGARDLESS OF COLOUR
The beak should be slate blue, however in the black, the beak should be dark slate. Eyes black. Comb, face and wattles mulberry. earlobes turquoise blue or mulberry, the former being preferable. Legs and feet lead, Nails blue / white. Skin mulberry.

THE WHITE: Male and female plumage snow white

THE BLACK: Both male and female plumage is black all over, with a green sheen in the male. A minimal amount of colour in the hackle is permissible, but not desirable

THE BLUE: Male and female plumage an even shade of blue from head to tail

THE GOLD: Male and female plumage a bright even shade of gold throughout, with darker feathers in the tail of both sexes permissible.

THE PARTRIDGE:
Male: Head and crest dark orange. Hackles orange/yellow, free from washiness, each feather having a clear black strip down the centre. Breast and fluff black. Back and shoulders dark orange. Wing bar solid black. Primaries black and free from any white. Secondary, outer web dark orange, inner web black, the dark orange alone showing when the wing is closed. Tail and sickles black. Leg and foot feather black. Under colour slate grey, free from white.

Female: Neck and breast lemon striped black. Hackle feathers black centre with lemon edge. Chest, lemon and black mingling. Body, including wings and cushion, black barring on soft partridge brown. Under colour slate grey. Leg and foot feather colour as body. Black permissible in the tail

THE BEARDED SILKIE
As standard Silkie, but with clearly defined earmuffs and beard

OTHER COLOURS = NOT SHOW STANDARDS

More recently 2 other colours of silkies have popped up around the country. The most recent new colour known as RED is (if breed correctly) a stunning deep mahongany colour once it reaches 24 weeks, The cockerel distinctive my a wide silver strip running sideways across the tail, The chicks when hatched appear similiar to the partridge only wih a wide verticial brown line running along the back.

The second colour which has been around a little longer is the CUCKOO, a mottled (some say stripped) colouring to the feathers, generally deep grey though more recently also in blue. If breed correctly these are easier to sex than the silkies, the cockerels remaining lighter in colour than the hens. As chicks all cuckoo hatch black with the cuckoo lines appearing across the wing feathers around 4 weeks of age

SHOWING SILKIES

SCALE OF POINTS:
Type - 20
Head - 30
Legs - 10
Colour - 10
Plumage - 30

SERIOUS DEFECTS:
Hard feathers. Green beak or tip to the beak. Horns protruding from the comb, Ruddy comb wattles or face. Eye other than black. Incorrect colour in plumage or skin. Plumage is not silky. Want of crest ‘Polish’ or split crest - the crest should not hang over the eyes. Green soles to the feet. Any other deformities as listed in the Poultry Club Book of Standards that include crooked or turned toes and uneven wattles.

DISQUALIFICATIONS
Single comb. Toes other than five in number. Green legs. Featherless legs or feet and vulture like hocks

The weights are different for silkies
Here there heavier and there is
Afew different things.
Hope this helps

Back
Top Bottom