Anyone in Shaler Twp. PA (near Pittsburgh) with chickens besides me?

bantyshanty

Oval Office Courier
10 Years
Oct 6, 2009
S.W Pennsylvania
Does anyone live in Shaler Twp or in an adjacent township like Ross or Hampton, not a borough of the city? I've gotten nervous about the recent Pittsburgh ordinance to only allow 2 hens per property, fees for housing structures, etc. My husband thinks the ordinance will have a ripple effect to some of the adjacent townships, if only one person complains to the local city council.

I want to find some local people to share thoughts on this with, because I've spent a year carefully building up the flock I want. It's definitely a little larger than the average suburban flock, but we're on 2 wooded acres, fairly well separated from the neighbors.
Anyone out there doing the same thing nearby? Any chickens, ducks, quail?

Hey there,
I live in Hampton Twp, and have 6 barred rock hens on a five acre bit of land that I rent. I have have had the chickens for 3 years with no problems, but recently a neighbor who has adjacent land has complained about the chickens and now I have a problem. I received a zoning violation citation, but there is no specific law against chicken ownership in Hampton. They are saying that the land is not zoned for them. I believe that they mean zoned for "agriculture", but these chickens are pets, I am not farming them. I am trying to fight this, will let you know how it goes. Anyone else in the Pittsburgh area that can offer helpful info on fighting this would be really appreciated!!

We live in Hampton too and know of quite a few people with chickens, with and without acreage. It is such a shame that Hampton won't allow it, this used to be a farming community. I would think that if you have 5 acres, you should be allowed. I mean they allow horses on 5 acre parcels, what is wrong with chickens? It is terrible that some neighbors have to complain, but the entire reason why I hope to someday not have neighbors
wink.png
I wish I could help you on how to fight it. I guess now that someone complained, there really isn't much you can do, except maybe get a petition together of chicken owners and neighbors and go to them with it. Good Luck!!

Hi Shillelagh, howdy, neighbor! I don't know if you're going to check this post again, or if you're still having problems d/t the complaint. Here's a bit of advice I just tuned into and piked up tonight on zonig/variance procedures.
A BYC link to a thread:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=6596817#p6596817

Hope this helps! BTW, you're not Jen from St U, are you? ( I met you at the rummage sale?)
If so, you're already in touch Meg & her variance knowledge. Howdy anyway, whether or not you're her
smile.png

I've got way too many to call them pets, and I'm in the same netherworld with laws, so I'm trying to bribe the neighbors with favors.

Hello,

I was just contacted by Hampton twp telling I have to get rid of my chickes :(. My little girl is very upset. Email me so I can see if I can do anything.

WE HAVE DUCKS - IN 5 NIGHTS 5 ARE DEAD OR MISSING. SOMETHING GOT IN COOP AND JUST KILLED, DID'T EAT!

ANY IDEA WHAT ANIMAL COULD BE DOING THIS IN SHALER (BY CHERRY CITY VFD).

WE WILL BE BRINGING MOM AND DAD DUCK INSIDE AT NIGHT. THE DUCKS THAT GOT KILLED WERE YOUNG ADULTS, ALMOST AS BIG AS MOM AND DAD DUCK - NOW I AM SCARED FOR THEM.

WE HAVE DUCKS - IN 5 NIGHTS 5 ARE DEAD OR MISSING. SOMETHING GOT IN COOP AND JUST KILLED, DID'T EAT!

ANY IDEA WHAT ANIMAL COULD BE DOING THIS IN SHALER (BY CHERRY CITY VFD).

WE WILL BE BRINGING MOM AND DAD DUCK INSIDE AT NIGHT. THE DUCKS THAT GOT KILLED WERE YOUNG ADULTS, ALMOST AS BIG AS MOM AND DAD DUCK - NOW I AM SCARED FOR THEM.

Back
Top Bottom