Anyone in So. Cal. ordering organic feed from Countryside Naturals?

Rusty's Ranch

Songster
10 Years
Mar 25, 2009
So Cal
I'm expecting my first order of layer feed on the 29th, but only need about 20 lbs of the 50 lbs that are coming (I only have 2 birds). When it arrives, I'll post in the for sale area if anyone locally wants to buy in. With shipping, it came out to about $1.30/lb. Kinda pricey, but I'm anxious to see how the girls do on a fish based organic food.

For future orders - do we have a local group already ordering from this company?

Last edited:
Sorry, I'm in the same boat as you but in a different area (Texas).

I ordered a 50 lb bag of the chick starter but I only have five chicks. I gave away some to a friend of mine because there's no way my chicks will be able to eat that much before it goes stale, and I don't have room in my freezer to freeze much.

By the way, I really like the Countryside product. I'd been feeding my chicks a soy based feed purchased locally, and their poops were much smellier than they are now.

Thanks for the feedback. I was hoping the change would have positive results. My chickens haven't started laying eggs yet, but they seem to be getting close. We're hoping the feed will produce higher quality eggs, and the less smelly poop is always a good thing.
smile.png

I'll try posting the extra feed for sale on the "for sale" board and maybe on the local craigs list. The idea about the freezer is good - I might be able to store some of it that way.

What were you feeding your chickens before the Countryside Naturals feed that made their droppings so smelly?

I'm sure you will have luck splitting a bag with someone. I split my first two bags of organic starter with others who I went in on the chick order with me. Then I split with my neighbor who later got chicks.

Now my 6 girls are full grown and I go through about a 50# bag a month. I try to buy as local as possible. The closest organic feed I have found is milled out of Goshen, CA. It is made by O.H. Kruse/ Western Milling. It is about $0.50 a lbs.

Thanks for the tip -- I think that's the brand my local feed store said they could special order for me. I'll check it out.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom