anyone know of a coop for under 400 $ for 10 chickens? EDIT

i just bought a 10x12 metal shed from sears website for $399! that will hold 30 chickens.....i only want 6 but am planning/fear chicken math!
barnie.gif
lau.gif

Are you looking for "pretty" or just functional?

ETA: The reason I ask is because it's fairly simple to keep it under or around $100 going with fuctional. If you have to make it look like a playhouse or a British cottage... it can get pricey.

Last edited:
1st where are you, do you need something that will be warm for winter, or cool for summer. $400 is do able for quite a few types of coops. i use round poly-dome calf hutches. $200 bucks and keeps them warm in winter but its a little warm in summer if you don't have it in the shade. if you need plans go to the plans here on BYC and get creative, It's had for others to help you if they do not know what you need

Pallet coop...Craigslist always has free pallets.... http://www.studiogblog.com/garden-inspirations/diy-projects/the-pallet-shed-using-recycled-materials-to-construct-garden-buildings/

I
used dog kennels, dog houses....for coops...even a play house I found in a trash, just bought a can of spray paint, used fan grills....and I had a coop!!!

Started like this when pullets
36033_dsc_0839.jpg

To this when they got older, found it free, old broken fan, spray can paint...expense 4.00 for paint
36033_dsc_0603.jpg

Hurricane Ike hit us hard here in our area....we went around and got all the tin and privacy fence we could find...
36033_egg_door.jpg

36033_dsc_0752.jpg

and built this coop above...its 6"tall by 4ft deep and across is like 10' to fit the old dog kennel we had, the tin above for the roof also free picked that up with the privacy fence.

behind that Main coop we started building smaller coops, we did two side by side, this is a picture of the first one, then later we put one next to that one, I use these for smaller flocks or pullets
36033_minicoop.jpg

and we use branches we find and they love them!!!

36033_roost.jpg

so we use Craigslist; we look under: general, materials, free, household, farm/garden YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU CAN FIND AND USE....

Back
Top Bottom