Anyone live on the gulf or near it?

Pardee_Boy

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 3, 2010
Blissfield MI
I'm just wondering how bad the spill is and if the news is showing the whole story. This has been nagging at me since it started . I just can't imagine the mess this is going to leave for future generations.

I don't but I'm in Michigan so water quality is always a big concern for me. It wrenches my heart to hear any news about this and I cannot even imagine the long term effect on the oceans with so many krill and turtles dying from swimming in crude oil.

I'm not sure how much this is trickling into the rest of the nation but my congressman Bart Stupak (U.P. and northern MI) has been very opposed to drilling in the Great Lakes and I am glad that he has been, unfortunately he is not running for reelection ...

There was someone on here (was it you?) that mentioned that gobs of tar and crude oil were washing up on beaches. Is BP any closer to getting it capped? If only the company maintained their rigs ...
rant.gif

I live about 15 miles from the Gulf...as the crow flies. Farther by highway. Near Galveston. We haven't had any of the oil wash up here yet, but the spill is so big, some could easily end up here. Some has started washing into the marshes in Louisiana.

I am a wildlife rehabber and our group has 200 volunteers ready to go help out with cleaning up birds, etc. The problem is, it will be quite awhile before the marshes can be clean enough to release the wildlife again, so they are going to have to workout alternative places to house them. The wildlife center in Houston is set up to take in several hundred and I am sure other facilities will help as well.

I also live in Michigan but in the lower section close to toledo and AA. I'm a few miles away from the lake but grew up on the Niagara River between buffalo and Niagara Falls . As well as the erie canal so I know what some pollution can do to an area and what long term effects it can have. We had that whole Manhatan project leftovers and Love canal . This was man made waste and it screwed things up for a long time.

I guess what really gets me is that the government hasn't really stepped in yet and tried to do much of anything. If we can see it from space and its been going on for 30 some odd days someone has to stand up and say hey "BP you guys are morons we'll take care of it." I won't buy gas fropm any BP AMCO stations anymore. As a matter of fact they dump waste into Lake Michigan . So I say "DON'T GO BP AMCO!"

You wouldn't kiss a girlfriend/boyfriend who doesn't brush their teeth? Don't show BP any love untill they clean up their act.

Quote:
It was on the news that the spill in the marshes is so bad they may not be able to clean them but let nature take it's course. What will happen to the wildlife then?

I live 2 miles from the gulf here in FLorida SO far the only area affected is the marshes in Louisiana The beaches here are clear They just had a big fishing tournment in Panacea this weekend and caught alot of big fish. I really think the media is making it look much worse than it is. I know its bad and the wildlife will suffer but thanks to the media the people along the gulf are suffering from rumors.

Back
Top Bottom