Anyone Order Chicks For Spring?

I ordered 10 standard cochins and 2 feather legged cuckoo marans from Ideal. They are coming 3-01-17.

Ideal has a $25 minimum order and their shipping fees are reasonable. I've ordered 2 times from there before and both times chicks were super healthy and all arrived alive. No packing peanuts (males) included.

Just got 15 today for laying hens. Watch out for those Easter egger chicks. Mine is picking on the others at the moment

I haven't ordered any chicks this year yet and my current chickens I ordered last fall so no spring chicks but I am thinking of either adding some more chickens or adding ducks to the flock this spring/summer

What I do is I order those minimums and then sell the others. This is especially okay in breeds that don't come sexed. For instance, I have ordered 32 chicks in 7 breeds/varieties to come next month but will only be keeping 11. Of course, this works because I live in the country and have no poultry limits, so I can grow them out until sexed and sell the females for more to make up for the lower price the males will yield. Even with estimating that 50% will be males I predict my net cost will be $20-30 for those 11 chicks I keep, even taking into account feed costs for growing out the extras to 6 weeks old (though not accounting for mortality).

I ordered 10 standard cochins and 2 feather legged cuckoo marans from Ideal. They are coming 3-01-17.

Ideal has a $25 minimum order and their shipping fees are reasonable. I've ordered 2 times from there before and both times chicks were super healthy and all arrived alive. No packing peanuts (males) included.

What color cochins did you get?

I had very bad luck with Ideal, both in mortality and the quality of one large fowl, with my last two orders. I'm glad you have had better luck with them!

I ordered gold laced, silver laced, barred and partridge. 2 of each as pullets and 1 roo in barred and 1 in partridge. Since I plan on using them as part of a breeding project on Sultans, I hope they are not massive in size, 7lbs would be great for me :)

I ordered gold laced, silver laced, barred and partridge. 2 of each as pullets and 1 roo in barred and 1 in partridge. Since I plan on using them as part of a breeding project on Sultans, I hope they are not massive in size, 7lbs would be great for me :)

Are you trying to get different colored sultans? That would be great. I love my sultan but wish they come in more than white! The LF cochins are pretty darn big, though. Sultans are only about 4# and border on being bantams. With that being said, I think a Sultan over Cochin would be better than a Cochin over Sultan, as you want the larger one to be the one laying the egg.

ETA oops I was thinking of Brahmas for some reason. Either way, Sultan over Cochin would work better, because of size and I think they say its okay to breed daughters to fathers but not sons to mothers, for whatever reason.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom