Anyone Order Chicks For Spring?

Oh yes it's so exciting to get your order. I'm in California so can order pretty much year around. I got my first pair after not having chickens for 10 years, just 2 weeks ago. Since then doubled up on an order with my neighbor and got buff Orpington and golden Wyandotte. I plan or getting more when these are 2 months old. My little eco brooder is great so far

good thing I can not order all year round, or my husband would kill me! LOL - well the breeds I ordered are all different from the 8 I already have, and this will be my last purchase, because I do not want to over do it, and 18 seems to be good enough for me. As a first time chicken owner, I think I'm doing a wonderful job with my first 8 girls, since it's going to be almost a year since we got them, and they look fantastic, and seem very happy! so enjoy your new comers, and looking forward to hearing all about them.

Thats a lot of chickens!

That's in addition the 3 EEs (1 male, 2 female), 3 Appenzeller Spitzhauben (SR), 4 Egyptian Fayoumi (SR - 1 was an extra), 6 splash cochin bantams (SR - 1 was an extra), 6 splash rosecombs (SR - 1 was an extra), 5 crele OEGBs, 5 spangled OEGBs, and 25 assorted OEGBs I received two weeks ago. Plus I hatched 2 splash and 2 blue Marans last week, and I have 2 male and 2 female 7 week old olive eggers. Once the chicks arrive next week I will start listing birds for sale. I am really falling short on brooder space! I was planning to take them to a swap next month but I need to offload some before then.

Oh and somehow from the order from a few weeks ago I have ten more chicks than I should have for some reason. i didn't count them or mark the OEGBs as I took them out and they came from two different places so I'm not sure if Cackle (the one I got specific colors from) miscounted, or Ideal (the OEGB assortment) did...I am thinking maybe I got 10 each of each OEGB variety from Cackle instead of 5 of each but that would be good because so far it looks like 4 of the Creles are boys.
ETA Oh and I forgot about the six sebrights I got from TSC about a week ago and I already have 26 chickens. Chicken math... I don't think I'm "Hoarders" material yet though lol

Last edited:
Quote:

I'll take those blue Marans off your hands if you would like.
big_smile.png

My patient husband came home last saturday and excitedly told me about Stockdales selling baby chicks, several different varieties. Me, being the nervous concerned one, thought about the 11 existing chickens that we already have (5 Buff Brahmas which turned out to be GIANT chickens*1 roo*, 1 black silkie, 1 silkie mix (male), 3 bantam mottled cochins (1 male), 1 bantam buff brahma) and where in the world we would put any more since we are expecting 3 white bantam silkies and 2 black bantam silkies from MPC April 4th. We investigated online some of the breeds that Stockdales had and, being the animal lover I am, feel in love with the Cockoo Marans! So we went to Tractor Supply and bought a new coop. Then popped over to Stockdales and picked up 2 Cockoo Marans and 2 Americanas! Now, come April 4th, we will be up to 21 chickens. When we started this adventure we were just going to have 4. This is basic chicken math you see. Set out for 4, end up with 21. I'm so glad for understanding neighbors as we are in a cul-de-sac neighborhood and for the no-crow-collar! We had requested all females, but sexing being what it is, we now have 3 roos. I love all of our babies, they all have names and will never be slaughtered. We have had our fair share of tragedy, but after a small memorial service, we pick our selves up and scratch on.

What is the name of those beautiful chickens in the photo? I want one! Or 2

Hello there Peaky!Adorable avatar.

Those chickens are called Buff Brahmas.There are Standerd and bantam buff brahmas.You can get them from My Pet Chicken and most hatcheries and some farm stores.Petty birds aren't they?I really want one.

Hi Peaky! If you're talking about my picture, then Cluckcluck1215 is right! These are Buff Brahama chicks. These are standard chicks, I also have one bantam, significantly smaller but equally as loveable. I did get mine from MPC. The ones pictured are Pretty on the right and Daisy on the left, both are 9months old and are great layers. I HIGHLY recommend Brahamas as they are very loveable and sweet!

What is the name of those beautiful chickens in the photo? I want one! Or 2

Back
Top Bottom